Default value of custom field during an import

Shinjani Gaur March 4, 2014

I am importing data from Bugzilla to Jira. I created some custom fields in Jira to match the ones in Bugzilla. In Bugzilla, some of the custom fields have a default value of '---'. In Jira, I set the default values for those custom fields to be '---' as well. However, after the import the fields that should have a value of '---' show up as empty in Jira. Is there a way to fix this during the import?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
pborkowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2014

Hello,

I think that default values for Custom Fields are not stored in Bugzilla database, at least in the tables that JIM is checking during import, so in the current JIM version I don't think it's possible to set mapping for this default value. Also JIM is not filling default values for JIRA Custom Fields.

Unfortunately, I think the only way to make it work is to Bulk Edit issues after import. You could filter issues with empty Custom Field and then Bulk Edit them with the desired value.

I admit that's unintuitive and uncomfortable for the user, so I've raised an Improvement request in JIM Project: https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/JIM-1222

My experiments with the import too led me to believe that Bulk editing after importing was the only solution at this point.

Thanks for opening an Improvement request.

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2014

Hi,

At some point when you import (for issues with '---') you can set up a default value for the field from the JIRA UI and try again. If JIRA is recognizing '---' as empty then new tickets should get default value set in JIRA. If JIRA is recognizing '---' as '---' but cannot add this to the field then remove '---' value from Bugzilla and try again.

Another option is that you are using incorrect type of field. I am assuming that this is a Text Field < 255 characters. If this will be a Unlimited characters field it may be having problems parsing this '---' value.

Take a look also in the log files for any clue. If importing directly from Bugzilla will still not work event there is a default value consider exporting from Bugzilla to a CSV file and then import it to JIRA. Maybe this option will work.

I hope that will help.

Best Regards,

Mirek

During the import process, at the "Map values" step, there are some options that are under "Value from importer" that have to be mapped to "Target value in Jira", if the default value in Bugzilla is "---" that value does not show up in the "Value from importer" list. As a result that field in Jira is empty after the import. How can I make the importer plugin recognize the "---" option?

As for the type of field, I am using three different types, Text field <255, Number field and Select List, and the problem of the missing "---" is in all three fields.

I have also experimented with the CSV import option. I found that all the dates get reset to the date the import was done on. There is no easy way to import attachments, comments, depends on and blocks fields.

Suggest an answer