Default issues to unassigned for all projects

Is there a way to default all new projects to have the assignee for new issues to be unassigned? I know I can change it on a per project basis, but I'd like to change it at a global level.

2 answers

1 accepted

You could do a SQL update on the Jira DB. if you look at the project table

select ID, pname, URL, LEAD, DESCRIPTION, pkey, pcounter, ASSIGNEETYPE, AVATAR from project

there is a column, assigneeType. It has a sequence of numbers as valid values. I don't think these values link to anything in the DB, rather they are stored in the source code in the AssigneeTypes class: https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/latest/com/atlassian/jira/project/AssigneeTypes.html

A quick look shows you the value for unassigned is 3

You'd have to shut Jira down, do the update & restart and MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP...

Oh, & test it first....

/**
* Assignee is set to the default for the project.
*/
public static final long PROJECT_DEFAULT = 0;

/**
* Assignee is set to the {@link com.atlassian.jira.bc.project.component.ProjectComponent} lead.
*/
public static final long COMPONENT_LEAD = 1;

/**
* Assignee is set to the {@link com.atlassian.jira.project.Project} lead.
*/
public static final long PROJECT_LEAD = 2;

/**
* Issue is left with no assignee.
*/
public static final long UNASSIGNED = 3;

I'm not necessarily trying to change all my current project. I'm wondering for new projects if there is a way to make that the defaut setting.

As long as you have unassigned issues set in the general config (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+JIRA+Options) you can set it every time you create a project. You can't make it the default selected option in the project creation form, it is what it is.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+a+Project

Thanks, I was hoping there was some way to make it the default option, but I guess not.

JIRA 6.0.3 update

Starting with JIRA 6.0.3, when the "Allow unassigned issues" option is ON then the default assignee for newly-created projects will be "Unassigned".

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,870 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot