Default groups in Administration can I stop using them?

Aaron Geister
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2020

I have created Active Directory Security groups that get push to Azure then to Atlassian for access for all users. Can I stop using the default groups or remove them and or take all users out of them and just use my AD Security groups?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tony Rossiter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2020

@Aaron Geister 

You do not have to use the jira-administrators group to grant and manage global Admin permissions.  I'm on server and use AD groups in place of the default groups. 

I would recommend leaving jira-administrators in the default global permissions with at least 1 user from the internal directory as a member as a fail-safe in case your Azure integrations are not available for whatever reason.

Aaron Geister
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2020

Ton,

Thanks for the reply. I never thought about using it as a fail-safe. Great idea. I am currently want to remove the list of users from each default group and only utilize our AD groups for licensing and access. It seems they are not removable though. Just looking for best practice for our instance.

Tony Rossiter
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2020

I have to admit I haven't used Cloud with Azure so this may be intended functionality to freeze out the administration of the local groups once you're integrated. My experience is all in a Server deployment. 

Regardless, having redundancy in your admin groups permissions is generally a good thing for the reasons I mentioned.  

Like Aaron Geister likes this
Aaron Geister
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2020

@Tony Rossiter  Thanks much and now with that thought I will leave it just in case of and outage with azure we will not lose all access to our data. This is actually a great idea and practice.

Like Tony Rossiter likes this

Suggest an answer