Default custom field types disapeared

Alvaro Gonzalez August 28, 2013

Hello,

Yesterday I upgraded Jira from 6.0.4 to 6.0.6., and for some reason there was a corruption in the DB. If I enter in Jira to see the custom fields, most of them are gone. Also the basic custom fields types (like multicheckboxes) are gone. I can only see the custom fields that have a custom field type (like 'Colour of Epic' from Jira Agile plugin).

I checked in the DB itself and indeed the custom fields are there, I didn't manage to find any obvious problem in the DB. I searched in the logs and found something like this:

2013-08-29 01:30:18,465 TP-Processor10 ERROR agonzale 90x2350x1 1rpaxf5 137.XX.XX.XX /secure/admin/ViewCustomFields.jspa [jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager] Could not load custom field type plugin with key 'com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.customfieldtypes:multicheckboxes'. Is the plugin present and enabled?

The strange thing is that if I repeat the migration from an old copy of Jira in our developer instance, that has the same code as the production ijnstance, it works just fine. I tried to load several XML backups of JIRA from different points in time and it is very consistent: before migration backups work but after migration backups don't. So I am 95% sure it is not the code or any other file in the file system.

I hope there is a mising magic entry in the DB that I can change to load the com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.customfieldtypes plugin or something like this.

Cheers

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alvaro Gonzalez August 29, 2013

Hello,

I found the answer.

The trees didn't let me see the forest. The problem was not a corrupted DB at all. The problem was that the migration process disabled the customfieldtypes plugin. So when I went to the Add-ons page, select system plugins and enble the customfieldtypes plugin, everything started to work fine.

I am sorry for the noise, my bad, but if I can do a recomendation for the integrity checker: "It is mislesading that the integrity check says that the custom field doesn't exist, it should take into account the customfieldtype issue and perhaps even activate it or offer that solution to the user".

Anyway thank you very much for your help.

Cheers

1 vote
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 28, 2013

Hey there, Alvaro.

Can you try to perform the following steps to see if it can help to retrieve the custom fields that were missing? As you mentioned, the database corruption might have caused this issue to occur. So, let's see if these steps can help:

Give it a try and share the outcome here. Good luck!

Warm regards,

Danial

Hello,

Thank you for your answer. But the problem with that is that I get quite a lot of ERROR lines like this:

ERROR: The field layout item with id 12607 has a reference to the deleted custom field with id customfield_10614. (JRA-4423)

I can click in 'Fix', but that will remove the information in the issues regarding the custom fields, isn't it? So I will lose that information, and this is the opositte of what I want.

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 28, 2013

Hey there, Alvaro.

You are welcome. So, we can confirm that there are some inconsistency in your database. Since the custom field is already deleted from the instance, it should not cause any issues as far as I am concerned. Just to be safe, you can also perform an XML backup first before proceeding with the steps.

Warm regards,

Danial

Hello,

I am doing the test in a copy of the production instance. I will let you know. Anyway I am not convinced that this is the answer. My concerns are:

I can not even create new custom fields with the standard custom field types (like datepicker) and I don't see how this solution will fix that.

Also I can see in the customfields table in DB the supposedly deleted custom fields.

Cheers

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
August 28, 2013

Hey there, Alvaro.

Thank you for the clarification. However, we need to ensure that the database is in the consistent state first before proceeding with the rest of the steps. Since you are performinig this on a copy of your production instance, we hope that it will help. Let me know how it goes for you.

Warm regards,

Danial

Hi,

I did the steps, now the integrity checker returns no error, but there is no other improvement. I still cannot see all the custom field types.

Cheers

Alvaro Gonzalez August 29, 2013

Hello,

Do you have any other suggestion?

Cheers

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
August 29, 2013

Hey there, Alvaro.

Have you completed the rest of the steps yet? The database integrity checker is only part of the whole process, so I would like to know if you have performed steps 2 - 5? Can you let me know the outcome of it?

Warm regards,

Danial

0 votes
And more
2013-08-29 16:08:01,963 main INFO [ext.bamboo.service.PlanStatusUpdateServiceImpl] Job 'com.atlassian.jira.plugin.ext.bamboo.service.Pl
anStatusUpdateServiceImpl:job' scheduled to run every 60000ms
2013-08-29 16:08:01,981 main INFO [atlassian.plugin.loaders.ScanningPluginLoader] No plugins found to be installed
2013-08-29 16:08:06,499 main INFO [atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] Found dependent enabled plugins for uninstalled plugi
n 'remotable.plugins.i18n': []. Disabling...
2013-08-29 16:08:06,500 main INFO [atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] Updating plugin 'remotable.plugins.i18n' to 'remotabl
e.plugins.i18n'
2013-08-29 16:08:06,501 main INFO [atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] Disabling remotable.plugins.i18n
2013-08-29 16:08:06,517 main INFO [atlassian.plugin.loaders.ScanningPluginLoader] Removed plugin remotable.plugins.i18n
2013-08-29 16:08:06,950 main INFO [atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] Returned module for key 'com.pyxis.greenhopper.jira:g
reenhopper-delete-shortcut' was null. Not enabling.
2013-08-29 16:08:06,955 main INFO [greenhopper.plugin.sampledata.JiraImportersPluginInstallerImpl] Checking if jira-importers-plugin is
present and at version 4.4 or higher
2013-08-29 16:08:06,956 main INFO [greenhopper.plugin.sampledata.JiraImportersPluginInstallerImpl] jira-importers-plugin already at 6.0
2013-08-29 16:08:06,976 main ERROR [jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager] Could not load custom field type plugin with key 'co
m.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.customfieldtypes:select'. Is the plugin present and enabled?
2013-08-29 16:08:06,976 main ERROR [jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager] Could not load custom field type plugin with key 'com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.customfieldtypes:datetime'. Is the plugin present and enabled?
0 votes

Hello there,

Just few logs that I they can have something to do with the problem:

jira.option.rpc.allow : true

jira.option.timetracking : true

jira.option.user.crowd.allow.rename : false

jira.option.user.externalmanagement : false

jira.option.voting : true

jira.option.watching : true

jira.option.web.usegzip : false

jira.path.attachments : /var/jira-home/data/attachments

jira.path.attachments.use.default.directory : true

jira.path.backup : /var/jira-home/export

jira.path.index.use.default.directory : true

jira.plugin.state-.com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.customfieldtypes : false

jira.plugin.state-.com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.renderers.wiki.macros:code : false

jira.plugin.state-.com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.renderers.wiki.macros:noformat : false

jira.plugin.state-.com.atlassian.jira.welcome.jira-welcome-plugin:show-whats-new-flag : true

jira.plugin.state-.com.atlassian.jira.whatsnew.jira-whatsnew-plugin:show-whats-new-flag : true

jira.project.summary.max.issues : 3

jira.projectkey.description : admin.projects.key.description

jira.projectkey.maxlength : 10

jira.projectkey.pattern : ([A-Z][A-Z]+)

jira.projectkey.reservedwords.list : PRN, AUX, CLOCK$, NUL, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8, COM9, CON, LPT1,

LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, LPT9

jira.projectkey.warning : admin.errors.must.specify.unique.project.key

jira.projectname.maxlength : 80

jira.releasenotes.default : Html

Suggest an answer