Default creation state on Kanban board should use the 'Backlog Kanban' state

Bruno Gasnier February 14, 2021

I have a project with 3 boards globally like this :

- Dev Scrum board (Dev todo, Dev in progress, Dev done)

- IT Kanban board (IT todo, IT in progress, IT done)

- Test Kanban board (Dev done and IT done, Test in progress, Test done)

The project workflow is set so that when we create a new issue, it has 'Dev todo' state.

We also have a 'IT backlog' state to allow IT users to maintain their backlog and we have set this state as 'Backlog Kanban' in the columns definition of the IT board.

IT Kanban.JPG

When we create a ticket in the IT backlog, the state is 'Dev todo', we expected it to have 'IT backlog' state.

backlog.JPG

Is there a way to do this ? (automation, feature...)

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2021

Hi @Bruno Gasnier,

I understand that all boards are associated with the same Jira project. It is important to understand that issues are created inside a project, while a board is essentially a view on those issues. Or in other words, you always create your issues in a project, never in a board.

When creating an issue, apart from choosing a project you also have to select the issue type (story, task, bug, ...) you want to create. An issue type can only have a single workflow within a project, but each separate issue type can have its own workflow.

Having said that, if a different workflow is required for different issues in the same project, the usual way to solve this is to set up different issue types - each having its own workflow. That way an IT task can have a different initial status than e.g. a Story that goes to the dev team.

Have a look into the documentation on:

Bruno Gasnier February 17, 2021

Ok, I will create a new issue type for IT tasks.

Thanks !

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events