Default Values - Text not clearing with new issue type.

Chris Rondeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2014

So basically, we are using the Default Values plugin for the default issue type. Whenever the issue type is changed (i.e. from Bug to Feature) the Default text remains in place. I believe I am pretty much stuck with this behaviour, since it seems to be a JIRA thing, meaning anytime I enter text and change issue type, matching fileds will still have the text I entered.

Just looking for a sanity check, or maybe if someone knows a trick.

Thanks.

1 answer

2 votes
Gebsun
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2014

Hi Chris,

We try to make this behaviour as natural as possible so when you switch issue types and Issue Create page is refreshed Default Values works following way:

• If you DO NOT change default text in a field and switch issue type:
    • Field is erased if there is no default value for the new issue type
    • New default value is put if the destination issue type has it defined
  • If you DO change default text in a field and switch issue type:
    • Field value is preserved if there is no default value for the new issue type (so what you enter is still there)
    • Field values is replaced with new default value if the destination issue type has it defined

Actually only the last bullet is "not natural" but in this case we would need to ask user directly what to do.

Please let us know if you think we should improve the above algorithm or you think you found a bug.

Cheers,
Gebsun

Chris Rondeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 2, 2014

hmm.. this is not the behaviour I am seeing. I'll have to dig into a little bit more and see if maybe I configured something weird.

Gebsun
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 2, 2014

Let us know the details if you can reproduce some other behaviour. We are keen to inspect that and fix potential bugs.

Chris Rondeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2014

Ok, the behaviour seems to be consistent as 'wrong' changing issue types leaves the default text in the field. It does not revert to blank even if no text has changed. What additional information do you need from me?

Gebsun
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2014

Does it happen when destination issue type has no defaults? Are you sure that destination issue type has no the same defaults? Please double check your configuration. Thanks, Gebsun

Gebsun
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2014

I have just tested it again and it works exactly as planned, so ff you DO NOT change default text in a field and switch issue type then: * Field is erased if there is no default value for the new issue type * New default value is put if the destination issue type has it defined There must be something special in your case. If you can provide more details then we can try to investigate the problem more closely. Feel free to contact us directly through email: support (at) gebsun (dot) com

Suggest an answer