Default Notification Scheme; how users are notified when issue created in project

Jonathan Bercea August 23, 2013

I can see three categories automatically assigned under Default Notification Scheme. These three categories are as follows:

• Current Assignee
  • Reporter
  • All Watchers

This default notification scheme is what Project automatically is set to, and user groups are the standard jira-administrator, jira-developer, and jira-user.

I am testing the smtp sever settings on this new instance of JIRA and I am not sure if this new instance of JIRA is functioning the same as the current instance of JIRA we are running.

I would like to know if I am understanding how notifications work within the default scheme. As far as I can tell, the Current Assignee and Reporter are fields which only accept one user, and All Watchers is a field that will accept multiple users that are assigned.

I am trying to understand how email notifications are sent to multiple users when new issues are created within a project.

If my assumptions are correct, the only way to send out notifications to more than two members ( the Assignee & the Reporter ), I would be required to add users to the Watchers on the issue.

This question is specifically regarding the Default Notification Scheme, it is not regarding creating a new group to send emails to multiple users.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2013

I'm not quite sure that there is a question here. You've explained the scheme perfectly - on Create, it sends mail to the assignee, reporter and anyone watching the issue.

I think the only thing you've missed is that you can edit the notification scheme, although I suspect you already understand it (hence why I'm not sure there's a question!). For a support project, it's common to use a scheme that somehow notifies support minions. So you'd add "Role = support minion", or add a group and use that directly (But only on the "create" event). Quite a lot of development projects add "role = developer" to the create event, so all the developers get to see the new issue and are aware of it, but aren't hassled with updates unless they're directly involved later. My last client had a user who posted on IRC or Jabber when it got an email, and that was added to some schemes to get updates from Jira. And so on.

Jonathan Bercea December 12, 2014

Hi Nic,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your insight into how to most effectively use notification schemes to update only users who really need to see issues created within a project.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2014

I can't really tell you that, because I don't know your structures or requirements. I can only give you the general approach: 1. Decide WHO really needs to see an issue update (your business rules) 2. Decide HOW you identify them in JIRA generally (Reporter, assignee, member of a role in the project - those are the three best ones to use, but there are some others) 3. Decide WHAT they need to see (List of notifications) I can't help you with the first one at all, it's entirely up to you. The second and third lines translate into JIRA setup, but you need the answer to the first one before you can work them out.

0 votes
Jeroen Thoelen November 17, 2017

How do I remove my new project from the default notification scheme?

So nobody will receive notifications.

Suggest an answer