Default Major Incident Workflow

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2021

Dear all,

We are going to implement major Incident approach but without any connection to Opseginie. We simply need to setup a new major incident type and linked normal incident to it.

Based on that I was looking if it exist a default major Incident worflow from jira that I could used as a starting point .

Any idea where I can find ?

regards

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2021

As described in the major incident documentation from the Atlassian ITSM playbook, this is the default process Atlassian describes for managing major incidents:

Screenshot 2021-01-07 at 12.43.44.png

As a process and a workflow are not necessarily the same thing, some steps may be left out of your workflow. That's why you can see how it can basically be reduced in its simplest form to just NEW > FIXING > RESOLVED. But from there, depending on your internal needs, you could decide to split the fixing part in some more detailed steps.

Setting in up is not that hard: it is just a matter of creating the statuses (although I'd rather use more static descriptions like new / assessing / escalated / delegated / resolved) and defining the required transitions to move from one status to another and back.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2021

Obviously, there's a bit more to workflow design than just the statuses and transitions. Not being sure about your proficiency in the area, this article is a good starting point to learn more about the additional bits and pieces (resolutions, conditions, validators and post functions)

Suggest an answer