Default Assignee for Different Issues Types -> Post Functions Not Providing Solution

Kelly Morales January 5, 2018

To preface this question, I want to state that the functionality within post functions in workflows will not do what I'm looking for. 

Problem #1: I want to set a user as the default assignee, with different users for different issue types, to be assigned ONLY if the person creating the issue doesn't assign a user

Problem #2: I want to have the default assignee for sub-tasks set to the user who created the sub-task. I don't see how to do this in post functions. 

Example #1: I'm creating a Story and my workflow has the post function to default assign the story to John. Most of the time that works, but I want to assign it to Kate. Even if I assign the story to Kate when creating the Story, it creates the story assigning it to John.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2018

Problem #1
You would need something like ScriptRunner to create a conditional post-function (i.e. if the Assignee is left as "Unassigned" or "Automatic," then assign the user to John; else, assign to whoever the user defined when creating the issue).

You might be able to do some creative stuff using automatic assigning with components and component leads, but that depends on how/if you're currently using components or not.

Problem #2
You should be able to use the "Assign to Current User" post-function in the Create transition for the sub-task's workflow.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2018

I just wanted to add that there are several plugins like ScriptRunner available in the marketplace. You could also consider Power Scripts. You can read more here:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.keplerrominfo.jira.plugins.jjupin/server/overview

They all have its own advantages and disadvantages. I just want you to have the whole picture.

Suggest an answer