Decoupling Scrum from Kanban

Douglas Mackay December 19, 2019

One of our projects has two teams, one prefers Kanban and I prefer a Scrum backlog.

The trouble is that at some point my activities on the scrum backlog began resorting the Kanban board.

This used to not be the case and I'd like to decouple the two boards.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2019

Hi @Douglas Mackay 

I'm not sure what you're doing now that you weren't before, but I can't think of a reason why the behaviour would have changed.

Your 2 boards (the Kanban one and the Scrum one) are just views into the project data. As such, if you change the priority of an item on your board, you're changing the priority of the project item and hence should reflect on the other board.

Perhaps you could explain a bit more about what you're seeing?

I'm assuming that you have board filters set up so that items which show on your board don't show on the other one, and vice versa?

Douglas Mackay December 19, 2019

Hi Warren,

Thanks for replying. 

Now that you mention it, perhaps it has always been this way and I've only noticed when staging the scrum backlog created issues for the other team. It does make sense though and is probably what most users desire.

While this makes sense and is likely the behavior most users want. I find kanban visually challenging to work with.

Would be nice if one could have independently ordered scrum and kanban boards for the same project and tasks.

Suggest an answer