Just like the title says. I have some new business requirements and I'm leaning towards creating a new project, but I would like to hear from you, the more experienced, before making a decision.
Running JIRA v4.4...Here's some background on the existing project and my new requirements:
What are the most import factors to consider when creating a new project?
I'll try to not confuse terms.
I'll use project to refer to JIRA project, and the term... (riffles through thesarus) adventure to refer to this new thing you are doing.
If this new adventure you're taking on requires :
* a separate workflow than the one you're currently using on your previous project, you might want to consider a new project.
* A less/more stringent set of permissions schemes that you do not wish to apply to your previous project, you might want to consider a new project.
* A different JIRA administrator
* A need to keep separate metrics from your previous adventure.
* A business reason to segregate the two adventures
* A need for more detail than 1 project can provide (eg. need different versions, or components)
Otherwise, you can shoehorn this adventure into your existing JIRA project. You can use components for different project leads. You can haev different permission schemes for different issue types.
As you might have thought, the decision to fork off to a different project is complicated and fraught with hard decisions. I wouldn't say there are hard and fast rules, because JIRA is so flexible. I would go with what fits best with your current workflow and plans for expansion to new adventures.
Project creation is not based on any of the above factors. It is based on whether it is for a different product/department itself. If it is for a newer version of the same product, it is just a new version in JIRA. And for a different type of job in the same prodcut, it is just a new issue type.
In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to have–in order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs