Debating between creating a new project or adding new issue types to existing project - what factors should I take into consideration?

Greg January 28, 2013

Just like the title says. I have some new business requirements and I'm leaning towards creating a new project, but I would like to hear from you, the more experienced, before making a decision.

Running JIRA v4.4...Here's some background on the existing project and my new requirements:

Existing Project:

• 1 Issue Type
  • Minimal number of User Groups
  • Pretty simple permissions

New Requirements

• I will have a new Issue Type that uses a new Workflow
    • I know that different workflows can apply to different Issue Types within the same project
  • There will be one user group that overlaps across both Issue Types (existing and the new one I'll be creating) - all other User Groups will be segregated to one Issue Type or the other
    • To me, this seems the biggest case for creating a new project
  • Permissions are fairly complex
    • With few exceptions (admin User Groups), if a user creates a new Issue then only other users in his/her same User Group can view that issue.
  • Default Assignee should be different from the existing project

What are the most import factors to consider when creating a new project?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
twong_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2013

I'll try to not confuse terms.

I'll use project to refer to JIRA project, and the term... (riffles through thesarus) adventure to refer to this new thing you are doing.

If this new adventure you're taking on requires :
* a separate workflow than the one you're currently using on your previous project, you might want to consider a new project.

* A less/more stringent set of permissions schemes that you do not wish to apply to your previous project, you might want to consider a new project.

* A different JIRA administrator

* A need to keep separate metrics from your previous adventure.

* A business reason to segregate the two adventures

* A need for more detail than 1 project can provide (eg. need different versions, or components)

Otherwise, you can shoehorn this adventure into your existing JIRA project. You can use components for different project leads. You can haev different permission schemes for different issue types.

As you might have thought, the decision to fork off to a different project is complicated and fraught with hard decisions. I wouldn't say there are hard and fast rules, because JIRA is so flexible. I would go with what fits best with your current workflow and plans for expansion to new adventures.

Greg January 31, 2013

Thanks Tim! Just the answer I was looking for.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2013

Project creation is not based on any of the above factors. It is based on whether it is for a different product/department itself. If it is for a newer version of the same product, it is just a new version in JIRA. And for a different type of job in the same prodcut, it is just a new issue type.

Suggest an answer