Dealing with review effort in estimates (JIRA and JIRA Agile)

Ramon Padilla October 23, 2015

How should review effort be dealt with during sprint planning when using JIRA and JIRA Agile?

Some tasks require that an artefact is reviewed and approved before it is considered complete. E.g. documentation or code.

During our planning we include the review effort in the estimate of the task as follows:

Engineer 1: Write document. (4h)

Engineer 2: Review document. (1h)

Engineer 3: Review document. (1h)

Engineer 1: Update document. (1h)

The total estimate would be 7h, 5h of which is allocated to Engineer 1 and 1h each to Engineer 2 and 3.

We capture that info in the description so it is clear how much review time is included in the estimate. I'm wondering if there is a better approach.

Although the above approach works OK it can sometimes be time consuming when planning a sprint to calculate the hours committed to for reviews for individual engineers when they are spread across multiple issues. In the above example, the task might be allocated to Engineer 1 but only 5 of the 7 hours are actually his/hers.

We've tried using sub-tasks to capture the review effort but that doesn't really help as they don't appear on the product backlog, nor do their estimates.

What do others do?

1 answer

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2015

Sub-task maybe your best bet here and what you want is an "Improvement" that needed to be done on JIRA Agile (take a look at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-9167) and here's a great blog for reference (http://blogs.atlassian.com/2012/09/agile-qa-greenhopper-time-estimates-with-sub-tasks/).

Ideally, I would want my Issues to be logged upon by the Assignee only. Any other effort related to that issue should use a sub-task. 

Suggest an answer