Deactivate Issue Link

Julia Erdel August 29, 2017

Hi,

we try to deactive Issue Linking for ONE Projekt. So for example the project has the Name IT but we have internal keys that starts also with IT- so if we type IT-2 and mean an internal key it shows us the issue IT-2 but we dont want that.

I tried to deactivate it through the issue features -> issue linking but it doesnt work.

Did someone have an idea?

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 30, 2017

So deactivating issue linking per the steps in Configuring Issue linking, will actually disabling issue linking for all projects, not just this one.

It is possible that you could edit the permission scheme of this project to set the permissions so that no users have the rights to create issue links from those issues.   But this only stops users from creating issue links on that IT project.  It does not stop users in other projects from selecting these IT issues and linking them that way.

As I see it, there are two paths you could follow to get around this:

1. lock down this IT project so that only specific users have access (this would be done by editing the permission scheme for that project).  By default JIRA uses the "Any logged in User" for the "Browse" permission on projects.  If most users can't browse these issues, they won't appear in the search results either.   If you do this, you just need to make sure that the users that need to see those issues can still browse them by granting them access.
  2. Rename the IT project to be a more complex project key, such as ITABC or ITXYZ.  This would change all the issues keys to correspond to this new project key that in turn would prevent these issues from appearing that way in search results.
Julia Erdel August 31, 2017

Hi Andy,

thank you for your response.

Neither solution 1 (Configure Issue Linking), nor solution 2 (Editing permission scheme) worked for us.

1. I deactived the Issue Linking but it was still working.

2. I deleted all users from the create issue linking permission. And this solution doesnt stop the system from linking issues.

1. (lock down the project) I cant lock down the project because the group that dont want issue linking need to have all permissions for the project.

2. Rename was my last option.

But I found another way. If you write IT/-2. Jira doesnt link to the issue. But if you adding the issue again you have to pay attention that the / doesnt disapear.

That is enough for us. But thank you a lot.

Suggest an answer