Date validation ignores localization. How to fix this?

Matthias Kraus November 29, 2014

l have installed Jira with German a server language. The date picker uses German month names, but the validation on submit still want the default English names.

Is there away to fix this?

Regards

Matthias

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2014

What validation are you doing?

Also, have you checked all the language and date formatting settings in Admin -> general config (and under the advanced settings in there too)?

Matthias Kraus November 30, 2014

For example, l have tried to add a new version to my project. I have selected start and end date with help of the datepicker. He fills the fields in configured format. When I hit the create button it is blocked with the message that I have to enter in d/MMM/yy format.

After that l have reconfigured the formating according to the link below (German), but the message stayed the same.

http://www.communardo.de/home/techblog/2013/06/21/jira-datumsformate-auf-deutsche-syntax-umstellen/

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2014

Ok, so what exactly are the steps you do to fill in the date? What dies it display as you go through the process, and does it work if you type the date in the English contractions?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 30, 2014

Ok, so what exactly are the steps you do to fill in the date? What dies it display as you go through the process, and does it work if you type the date in the English contractions?

Please see the screenshots in my answers for a step by step description.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 30, 2014

Ok, could you go to Admin -> General configuration -> Advanced and check what all the date settings in there are?

Matthias Kraus December 1, 2014

I have found the issue. The "jira.date.picker.java.format" was not set. Maybe I have missed to hit update in the first place. Now I have reset the date formats to the default settings and was able to identify where my initial problem came from. For the month march the date picker (and edit window) generates 01/Mrz/15, but the validation wants to see 1/Mär/15. As far as I know, 3 letter abbreviations are not standardized in Germany. Both variants would be fine. Anyway, this date format is not common in Germany. Maybe default formats as descipted in the link would be better defaults. Another good default would be formats like defined in ISO 8601. I found another trap with the formatting: If the "jira.date.picker.javascript.format" format has a space in the beginning, the date picker will create the date including the space. The validation will decline this and it's hard to spot. Maybe it would help to strip leading and ending whitespaces. Thank you for your help and patience.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 1, 2014

No problem. I've always found it monumentally stupid that javascript and java do it totally differently and I will argue at length that you shouldn't have to set them all separately. In any application. (and I completely agree about the stripping spaces too - that would be nice)

0 votes

I think I can't add images to a comment, so please see my step by step screenshots in this answer.

Please note that the wrong url warning in the first screenshot, is not the trigger.

Step1.pngStep2.pngStep3.pngStep4.pngStep5.pngStep6.pngStep7.png

Matthias Kraus December 1, 2014

Obsolete. See comment in accepted answer.

Suggest an answer