Date query is not working with equals operator

Allan Ferreira August 16, 2013

Hi everybody,

I'm having this strange issue with dates. If I try to query a date with the equal operator (eg updated='2013/08/16') I do not get any result back. On the other hand, if I query with equal or greater than (eg updated>='2013/08/16') it works properly. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2013

Updated is a date time field where you have beside the date part also a time component in it. So you query "updated ='2013/08/16'" means actually "updated ='2013/08/16 00:00:00'" (or even to millisecond part). Since no issues where updated at midnight (only later) you get no results with your equal query, however your greater then query works.

Hope I could help.

Allan Ferreira August 16, 2013

You certainly did, Udo Brand.

So, would it be possible somehow disregard the time part of it? The way I'm doing is constraining the query with both >= and <= (which should be < in fact). That seems not to be correct.

Thanks.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2013

I'm not aware of a way to eliminate the time part. So you will have to use ">= and <"

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 16, 2013

Depending on the other fields you are testing you might be able to use the WAS clause.

status WAS open ON '2013-01-05'

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 16, 2013

I was puzzled by your <= comment. Did you write date clause like this?

created >= '2013-02-20' AND created < '2013-02-21'

Suggest an answer