Databases for different atlassian applications

Pramod Kutty January 27, 2015

I need to install all the atlassian applications with mysql database, JIRA , stash, confluence and bamboo.

can i have one mysql server all the apps together?

If yes,

should we have a single atlassian DB with separate schemas for individual application?

or

should we have a separate DB for each application?

Kindly let me know the good and efficient way of the same.

Thanks in advance.

5 answers

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2015

Either will work fine.  The only things you need to consider are load (can your database server handle all of those database schema in one server?  If one application is doing something huge like an upgrade, is that going to affect the others?) and the fact that if you need to do maintenance on the database server, you'll take all of your apps down.

In the real world, I've used both setups a lot and really, there's nothing to worry about on top of the obvious stuff I've mentioned above.

0 votes
Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2015

I recommend you to have separate DB for each application since it will be easier to maintain and support Atlassian applications and databases.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2015

They would recommend doing whatever your DBAs would prefer to support.

0 votes
Pramod Kutty January 27, 2015

Thanks Nic and Anurag,

What does the Atlassian recommend for this condition ?

0 votes
Anurag Prakash January 27, 2015

In our case, we have one database (oracle) with separate schema for each application. Atlassian product does not store much on Database (unlike HP QC). But you should estimate the load before any decision.

As pointed by Nic, maintenance on DB server would affect all hosted applications.

Thanks,

Anurag

Suggest an answer