Database is not empty issue.

Pierre Granzotto July 10, 2013

I'm upgrading Jira from 4.0.1 to 6.1 WAR .

I've tried to follow all the instructions here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA060/Upgrading+JIRA+with+a+Fallback+Method

I thought I'd done everything right,

but yhen i start JIRA, I get the JIRA Setup Database Configuration screen. When I enter all the info about the database, it says,

"The database specified is not empty. Please specify an empty database for your JIRA installation."

What do I need to do to stop getting the Setup and instead get the login page?

Thanks.

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2013

Firstly, I do not think you should be using this document to upgrade since if you read the first line it says This page describes how to upgrade JIRA 4.4.x or later in a way that allows......

and you are on 4.0.1.

So, i would recommend

1. since you are on a very old version, i would recommend you to upgrade to an intermediate version using xml export and import.

2. Once you reach to a version 4.4 or higher then use the database pointing method to upgrade.

Rahul

0 votes
Pierre Granzotto July 16, 2013
Thank you all!
0 votes
Taiwo Akindele
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2013

Hi Pierre,

have you been able to upgrade JIRA and restore your backup successfully? I assume you mean that you're unable to login, but I'm not sure what error you are having?

You can look up all the existing user account in your database, using the following query:

SELECT * FROM cwd_user;

then you can see if your username is listed there.

Generally you can look at this documentation page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Retrieving+the+JIRA+Administrator for other possible database actions you can take to troubleshoot why JIRA can't find your user account or to add a user account from the database.

Remember to be careful when making modifications to JIRA directly from the database, and be sure you understand what you're doing.

All the best!

0 votes
Pierre Granzotto July 11, 2013
Thank you both! I did with an empty database and xml import. Therefore, I ve got an issue with connecting to the new jira: my user (from my old installation) is not found by Jira. Did I miss an upgrading step? Thank you, Pierre
0 votes
Pierre Granzotto July 11, 2013
Thank you both! I did with an empty database and xml import. Therefore, I ve got an issue with connecting to the new jira: my user (from my old installation) is not found by Jira. Did I miss an upgrading step? Thank you, Pierre
Taiwo Akindele
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2013

Hi Pierre,

have you been able to upgrade JIRA and restore your backup successfully? I assume you mean that you're unable to login, but I'm not sure what error you are having?

You can look up all the existing user account in your database, using the following query:

SELECT * FROM cwd_user;

then you can see if your username is listed there.

Generally you can look at this documentation page:https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Retrieving+the+JIRA+Administrator for other possible database actions you can take to troubleshoot why JIRA can't find your user account or to add a user account from the database.

Remember to be careful when making modifications to JIRA directly from the database, and be sure you understand what you're doing.

All the best!

0 votes
Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2013

I agree with @Rahul's suggestion, maybe except the idea of pointing to the database. Upgrading a WAR is different than upgrading using a standard JIRA installation mechanism. The best way around this is to connect the new JIRA WAR to use a new database, and then import the XML data into it. I believe this documentation on how to upgrade JIRA manually should be helpful for you.

This method allows the current JIRA to be still up and running, plus the risk of losing data is very minimal; since you are installing a new version of JIRA on a different path than the original.

Good luck!

Suggest an answer