Database Inquiry for Jira and Confluence

Robert Banister November 17, 2017

I was looking for clarification on how the database for Confluence and Jira handles attachments. Since attachments do not live in the database, how are they associated with Jira issues and how are they associated with Confluence pages?

After reading up, it seems like there is a table for the name of the attachment, the issue ID or page ID, but is there a third table that links it all together?

Thank you,

Robert

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2017

Stock answer:  Do not think about it.  Atlassian use databases as data stores, not real databases, and using SQL is for complicated bug fixes, and a handful of queries where the UI is weak.  Most of the time, using SQL is, quite simply, wrong.

Whatever you think you need to do here, doing it with the database is almost certainly the wrong approach.

But, that advice does dodge a real answer.  You are right in saying that there is a table which stores page id and attachment path.  There are tables in both applications, but the structure varies a lot by version and application.  (Believe me, one of my squad's current projects is Confluence 5.1 -> 6.4, so far, attachments are in 4 different places...)

Rather than try to write an essay on where things might be, could you tell us what you are trying to do with this information (and maybe why)?

Robert Banister November 21, 2017

Hey Nic,

I appreciate the reply and feedback.  It turns out Atlassian had the answer all along, just had to do a bit more searching.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/jira-unable-to-find-attachments-269984254.html?_ga=2.197973551.1816097316.1511285105-1410674850.1511285105

Thanks again,

Rob

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 21, 2017

Ah, that's one of the times database access is the right thing - when fixing stuff!

My response was mainly based on just how horribly wrong everything goes when people try to use the database for reporting or, a million times worse, updates.

Glad you managed to find it, it is pretty obscure!

0 votes
Robert Banister November 21, 2017

Suggest an answer