Data import failed due to a memory issue

Louis Halfen March 27, 2013

I had a JIRA 3.13 version and I made a data export in XML (80Mo file).

I installed a 4.01 version on a Windows server 2008 with 2Go of RAM, I've allocated 1Go to java.

When I try to import the 80Mo .xml file it fails :

> Etat HTTP 404 - Could not execute action [SetupImport]:Java heap space<p><small><small><pre>java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Arrays.java:2882) at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.expandCapacity(AbstractStringBuilder.java:100) at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.append(AbstractStringBuilder.java:390) at java.lang.StringBuilder.append(StringBuilder.java:119) at com.atlassian.jira.action.admin.OfbizImportHandler.startElement(OfbizImportHandler.java:128) at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(Unknown Source) at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractXMLDocumentParser.emptyElement(Unknown Source) at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown Source) at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source) at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source) at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source) at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source) at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source) at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source) at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source) at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserImpl.parse(Unknown Source) at com.atlassian.jira.action.admin.DataImport.doExecute(DataImport.java:205) at webwork.action.ActionSupport.execute(ActionSupport.java:153) at com.atlassian.jira.action.JiraActionSupport.execute(JiraActionSupport.java:59) at com.atlassian.jira.action.JiraNonWebActionSupport.execute(JiraNonWebActionSupport.java:34) at webwork.dispatcher.GenericDispatcher.executeAction(GenericDispatcher.java:141) at com.atlassian.core.action.DefaultActionDispatcher.execute(DefaultActionDispatcher.java:28) at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.setup.SetupImport.doExecute(SetupImport.java:133) at webwork.action.ActionSupport.execute(ActionSupport.java:153) at com.atlassian.jira.action.JiraActionSupport.execute(JiraActionSupport.java:59) at webwork.dispatcher.GenericDispatcher.executeAction(GenericDispatcher.java:141) at com.atlassian.jira.web.dispatcher.JiraServletDispatcher.service(JiraServletDispatcher.java:181) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188) at com.atlassian.core.filters.HeaderSanitisingFilter.doFilter(HeaderSanitisingFilter.java:44) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:215) </pre></small></small></p>

Any idea to help me to solve this issue please ?
thanks in advance

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2013

You need to allocate more memory to Jira, at least to perform the import.

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2013
Louis Halfen March 27, 2013

What is the proper way to allocate more memory to JIRA ?

Suggest an answer