Data Import - Jira Hosted to Jira On-Demand Migration

Saadiq Patel February 17, 2013

Is it possible to migrate JIRA Hosted project information to Jira On-Demand without loss of all existing configuration settings and existing projects already configured in JIRA On-Demand?

The JIRA Hosted documentation indicates this is possible, however the on-demand clearly states it will clear all existing configuration.

If this is the case are there any other workarounds?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 17, 2013

JIRA OnDemand cannot perform JIRA project imports, only full imports (which will wipe out all existing JIRA OnDemand data and replace it with the imported data).

There are some workarounds, but they're either a lot of work, not complete solutions or both.

1. Use the external system importer to import CSV data. If you are able to export your JIRA data into CSV format, this is an option. However, CSV imports cannot be used to import everything.
  2. Write a script using JIRA's API. Again, this probably can't be used to import everything.
  3. Export your OnDemand data and import it to a local JIRA instance. Perform your project imports into the local JIRA instance, export it and import it into JIRA OnDemand.

From what i can see there is no ability to export to CSV files from JIRA? I take we would need to sc

From what i can see there is no ability to export to CSV files from JIRA? I take we would need to have the xml file read into a csv format from some sort of script... unless you can suggest otherwise?

Also I can see that our Hosted version is v5.1.7 but the On-Dempan is v6 so this would also suggest that data (projects) cannot be imported?

Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 4, 2013

You can export JIRA search results to Excel, which you can save as a CSV. Though, as mentioned, this is not a complete solution.

Elastic_Bella NA September 8, 2014

Hi Michael, I am thinking of migrating Jira hosted to an existing Jira on-demand instance by following the option 3 you mentioned above. But the problem is Jira on-demand is upgraded automatically, so when the system is exported, the backup file always have the latest Jira version, while the installed version is always older than the on-demand version as I observed. When I restored the backup file of on-demand instance to the installed instance, it warns that the version of backup file is newer so some of the functions may be not available after restoring. I acknowledged it, then restoring went forward and succeeded. But after restoring, all the "Import&Export" options are missing except "External system import" on the installed instance, while I was about to import data from another installed instance through "Project Import", and I can't do it now coz the option is missing. Any suggestion?

Elastic_Bella NA September 8, 2014

I got answer. Log in with username and pwd "sysadmin".

Suggest an answer