Dashboard with more than three columns

Jason Davis February 13, 2021

Hi

From the default layouts, maximum number of columns I can find is three.

Is it possible to build a layout or dashboard with more than three columns ?

I have a requirement to build Jira dashboard with 7 columns.

Regards,

Jason

3 answers

1 vote
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2021

Hi @Jason Davis ,

AFAIK only 3 are possible... But to be honest I cannot imagine having dashboard with 7 columns... 

Would you please share us more about your use case, what you are trying to achieve?

Is it possible that you mean board instead of dashboard? These are two different things...

Thank you.

Deleted user August 15, 2023

I'm trying to track bugs in 4 different workflows. I would love a fourth column!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2023

Dashboards are not boards, I'd suggest you have a look at boards instead of dashboards.

0 votes
Jiri Manas September 7, 2023

My use case is building risk register dashboard, which consist of 5x5 metrics. I can do 5 rows using simple counts, but need to have 5 columns for better readability...

0 votes
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 13, 2021

Hi @Jason Davis ,

There was a request to add more columns to dashboards:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-10658

, which is closed now, but the latest comment (from 2010) indicated:

"In JIRA 4.0 (released October 2009), we have done a complete dashboards rewrite based on Opensocial gadget technology.

Currently, you can select a dashboard layout which allows you to have up to three columns.

At this stage we have no plans to further allow additional columns.

Thanks for the interest. I'll close off this issue for now."

It doesn't seem like you'll be able to add 7 columns.

Jason Davis February 13, 2021

@Carlos Garcia Navarro 

Thank you for the details.

What could be the reason for restricting the number of columns to three. I am bit curious.

Regards,

Jason

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2021

Mostly in software business these consideration come out of design question, in this situation probably also performance could be raise into into an issue.
More columns = more gadgets, more gadgets = more load, slower loading dashboards mean unhappy users.
This is just a theory, this would have to be drilled down what the specific decision was back in the time (impossible to gather if you ask me).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 14, 2021

I suspect it's simple design for humans - most of us don't handle huge walls of information too well, especially on smaller screens.  Three columns is probably the limit before the display becomes too cramped and fussy.

Like Hana Kučerová likes this
Jason Davis February 14, 2021

@Hana Kučerová/ @Carlos Garcia Navarro / @Daniel Ebers @ @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Thank you all for your replies.

Here is the use case.

Senior manager in my organization is managing seven projects.

He likes to see a seven pie charts for seven projects showing number of resolved Vs unresolved issues. He likes to see seven pie charts in once glance, without scrolling up and down.

This is the reason, I was looking for a dashboard with seven columns. Is there way to achieve this, without listing rich filters one below the other ?

Regards,

Jason

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 15, 2021

Hi @Jason Davis ,

As a suggestion, would it work to export the gadgets to a external website where you may be able to set up the layout that you need?  I haven't tried it myself but this is some documentation on how to accomplish this:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/use-dashboard-gadgets/

And more specifically to export to iGoogle and other external websites:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GADGETS/Adding+an+Atlassian+Gadget+to+iGoogle+and+Other+Web+Sites

I hope it helps,

Jason Davis February 15, 2021

Hi @Carlos Garcia Navarro 

Yes.  This is the option, that I am exploring now. But it would have been nicer, if Jira supports adding multiple columns in a dashboard.

Regards,

Jason

Suggest an answer