Dashboard's workload pie chart gadget doesn't consider subtasks when filtering by active sprint

Barak Simon December 28, 2021

Hey all,

I work with the dashboard's workload pie chart gadget together with a filter. The filter is set to consider only specific columns (that indicate a work in progress). In that case I see tasks and subtasks as well.

When I add the part of the query to filter only by active sprint, subtasks are not taken into account and I see only tasks, which makes it hard for me to understand time estimates as a whole.

See the image for the part that when added, removes the subtasks from the filter:
jira subtasks issue.jpg

It looks more of a bug, than a feature...

Would appreciate any help. Thanks!

1 answer

1 vote
David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2021

Hello @Barak Simon 

The JQL is working correctly. The reason why the result excludes the Sub-tasks is because only Stories have any recorded association with Sprints via the Sprint field.

You can see Sub-tasks in the Current Sprint view of the board because they happen to be children of the Stories in that Sprint, that is all. The Sub-tasks themselves have no record of what Sprint they or their parent Story have ever participated in.

So, in effect, your JQL causes the exclusion of the Sub-tasks, since they are not in the set of issues that contain a value for the Sprint field that can be found via openSprint() or futureSprint().

Barak Simon December 29, 2021

Hey @David Bakkers , thanks for your reply.

I see... Though, I find it confusing, since subtasks also have a field that attributes them to a specific Sprint (see below image, taken from subtask's details). That's why I figured they should also be visible when filtering on this specific Sprint, that is currently active.

Capture.JPG

David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2021

Hmmm, I just did some testing and can confirm that for Sub-tasks, the Sprint field does get populated with the value of the Sprint(s). So, I apologise, I was totally wrong on that topic.

So I did some experiments. I create a Story and a Sub-task and put them in the current Sprint. I create the following simple JQL query:

project = "BPT" AND Sprint in openSprints()

I save that query as a filter.

I then alter the Priority and the Original Estimate of both both issue types in the following way:

• Story = Medium Priority and Original Estimate = 5m
  • Sub-Task = Highest Priority and Original Estimate = 1m

I return to the issue filter page and apply the custom filter. It returns both the Story and the Sub-task with the correct data for the needed fields:

Filter.png

I then create a Workload Pie Chart that uses that saved filter and displays the Priority vs Original Estimate, and see this:

Pie chart.png

So, the chart is correctly displaying the results that includes both issue types. Everything is working correctly!

I'd suggest you double check your work:

1. Check the JQL search again via the issue filter page and confirm that it is returning both Stories and Sub-tasks.
  2. Make the Sprints field visible as a column on the issue filter page and confirm it contains the expected data about the Sprints or both issue types.
  3. Try altering the JQL gradually to determine which specific part is responsible for the exclusion of the Sub-tasks and compare that with the data in the Sprints field.
  4. Confirm the chart is using the correct filter and is reporting on data in fields that are common to both issue types.
Barak Simon January 2, 2022

Thanks for the thorough response, David!

Looking at the filter, when I filter without the openSprints() part I see subtasks:

jira-1.png

Then, when I add AND Sprint in openSprints(), They are gone...

jira-2.png
(Specifically the task in the image is part of an epic, but other tasks that are not part of an epic are shown as well, while subtasks are removed)

I also tried filtering only on a specific Sprint and project with the filter project = DEV AND Sprint = 13 without any other parts in the JQL, and it seems to behave the same as shown above - subtasks are removed from the filter results, but are shown when filtering only using project = DEV.

Suggest an answer