Dashboard Filter Results Gadget - Project Name Hyperlink

Chris McInnes June 21, 2015

Hi Guys,

In the Dashboard Filter Results Gadget I have the first Column showing the Project.

The hyperlink for this field takes users to the Project Summary page which is causing some confusion ... is there anyway to change this so it links to the actual Issue screen?

Thanks

Chris

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2015

Not without code.  

Generally, clicks on field data should lead to a what the field represents, so the logic of clicking a project and landing on that project is good, although I do see how you'd find a link to the issue useful too.  I tend to include the issue key in filter displays myself, even when I've got the project in there too, as that does it.

Chris McInnes June 22, 2015

Hi Nic,

The problem is that the Project Screen is not relevant to the majority of our userbase, so we're getting lots of calls from frustrated people.

We've also got a stack of data to display on the Dashboard, so including the Project Key just makes it even more cluttered.

Given how customisable the platform is I was hoping a file edit somewhere would let me override the hyperlink?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 22, 2015

I understand that, but the answer is to swap to using the issue key. It's only a few characters longer, but will solve the problem. The project field is always going to link to projects, and that's coded into the core. I don't know off the top of my head where it is coded, but there are four places it might be being done for the gadget: 1. In a template in the gadget 2. In a template in JIRA that the gadget pulls out 3. In java in the gadget 4. In java in JIRA that gives stuff to the gadget If it's 1 or 3, then you could go find the template and hack it. (In a gadget, you'd unpack the addon, tweak the file and re-pack it). If it's a java change, it's a case of recompiling the class used to generate it. Usual caveat - these are changes to the "core" of JIRA, which technically render you unsupported, and can be a pig to maintain on upgrade. I strongly suspect it's a template though. And I'd look in the gadget first, as if you can do it in just that one gadget, that would be better!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 22, 2015

Oh! Or use the script runner to generate a different field to use in the gadget.

0 votes
Chris McInnes June 23, 2015

Brilliant, thanks Nic - Script Runner did the trick

Chris

Suggest an answer