DVCS - case sensitive IDs in branch names

Pawel Wiszowaty March 31, 2016

Hey guys!

First, some background smile We've got our own system that allows testers to put a branch name as a part of URL directly in the browser. This makes testing a lot easier, and is a crucial part of our workflow. Unfortunately, browsers will automatically convert uppercase letters in URL into lowercase. So, for example: http://BL-109-branch-name.server.com will be converted to http://bl-109-branch-name.server.com, and this won't work. 

The problem is that JIRA DVCS plugin searches only for uppercase task IDs. So:

• BL-109-branch-name will be indexed by DVCS
  • bl-109-branch-name will not

My question is - is there any way to switch JIRA IDs format to lowercase? Or change the behavior of the DVCS connector plugin to index both upper- and lowercase IDs?

4 answers

3 votes
Mandar Harkare August 28, 2018

I would like to up vote this as well. We definitely want DVCS to recognize the lower case branch names.

3 votes
Philip Lucks September 13, 2017

I would like to upvote the option to have Jira DVCS recongnize lowercase branch names.  We too cannot use uppercase in the branch name due to App Engine url limitations.  

3 votes
MatthiasKunnen August 9, 2017

Will there ever be a solution for this?

3 votes
roboco July 27, 2016

Second this, works perfectly well with uppercase. But we need JIRA to detect lower case as-well. We are deploying branches on platform.sh which does not support uppercases in the branch name.

We are using both JIRA and Bitbucket cloud services so unable to make the server side edits i've seen in other posts to handle this within the repo.

Does anyone have a solution for this? It seems like a simple fix, add indexing for both uppercase and lowercase.

Pawel Wiszowaty July 27, 2016

Our way around this atm is to explicitly include task IDs in uppercase in the commit title. Not perfect, but there's no other way yet I guess.

Suggest an answer