DB Query to find number of time an issue got reopened

Erwin Manuel July 2, 2013

Hi,

We would like to create a query wherein I can compute how many times an issue has been reopened. e.g. result:

Issue | Reopened count

abc-1 | 3

abc-2 | 2

abc-3 | 1

This should be available in DB as Jira have history but I could not find which table to look.

I have tried looking in table OS_HISTORYSTEP using:

select top 1000 * from OS_HISTORYSTEP h
left join jiraissue i on i.WORKFLOW_ID = h.ENTRY_ID

But, it doesn't seem to contain the records of the transition from Resolved to Reopened. Can someone point me to the right direction? Thanks in advance!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2013

The OS_ tables are workflow historym and you can extract it from there.

The Jira "what has changed" tables are a bit more nice to work with though (I think it's because you can see a simple relationship between the tables and what a user sees on the issue "history" tab)

Look for ChangeItem and ChangeGroup.

The group is a header for the change, it holds the issue, the person who made the change and the date/time. So a "select * from changegroup where issue = jiraissue.id" will give you a list of all the groups of changes.

Once you've got a group, you can use "select * from changeitem where group = changegroup.id" to get a list of all the fields that were changed during that change. You'll be able to see "status" in there, with it's old and new values.

(Note - I'm not a DBA, I only know the basics of SQL, so I'll leave the best way to build your query up to you based on the relationships I've just scribbled)

Erwin Manuel July 3, 2013

Thanks Nic! this is exactly what we need

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2013

Hi @Erwin how you managed to make the query? Could you please share it? :)

1 vote
Erwin Manuel August 22, 2013

Hi Ramiro,

You can use something similar to

select 
	pkey 'Issue ID'
	,computeReopen.[Count Reopened]
from jiraissue ji
inner join (
	select
		cg.issueid
		,COUNT(ci.ID) as 'Count Reopened'
	from changeitem ci
	left join changegroup cg on cg.ID = ci.groupid
	where ci.FIELD = 'status'
	and cast(ci.NEWSTRING as varchar(1000))like 'Reopened'
	group by cg.issueid
	) computeReopen on ji.ID = computeReopen.issueid
where ji.PROJECT = (select ID from project where pkey = 'AAA')
order by pkey

Hope this helps.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2013

Thanks Erwin, I'll give it a try :D

Suggest an answer