Customizing Tempo / JIRA to allow zero hour work logs.

Andrew Taverna July 28, 2016

Hello,

I am trying to find a way to allow my staff to log zero hours but add billed hours. Currently, I am unsure how to do this. I believe I should be able to remove the field validation because I am on JIRA Server 7.1 and Tempo 8. 

Does anyone have any experience doing this?

Thanks,

Andrew

1 answer

0 votes
Hlynur Johnsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2016

Hi Andrew,

Worked hours must always be larger than 0 when logging work via Tempo Timesheets.  This is actually also the case when using JIRA Log Work.  Could you perhaps describe in a bit more detail what you are trying to achieve so that I can recommend alternative solutions?  I'm also interested to see if this is something we should consider for improvements of the product.

Regards,

Hlynur Johnsen

Product Manager - Tempo Timesheets

Andrew Taverna August 9, 2016

Hi Hlynur,

What we are trying to do is make it so that people can have billed hours go to our customer but not have to actually do any work on the issue. We have issues we use for things such as updates which happen automatically, but we will the customer for them. 

Do you have any proposed solution for that problem? I don't want people spending time on them, but I want them getting billed out at the end of a month.

Thanks,

Andrew

Hlynur Johnsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2016

Since there is no actual work taking place, I would suggest using something else than Log Work for this.  Timesheets 8 includes the option to record expenses (Issue view->More->Add Expense).  This allows you to log categorized expenses.  The amount logged on expenses is summed up in the Time and Expenses report, also added in Timesheets 8. 

For more information please see:  https://tempoplugin.jira.com/wiki/display/TEMPO080/Adding+expenses+to+JIRA+issues

Hope this helps,

Hlynur

Susanne Harelius [Riada]
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 31, 2017

Interesting. We have a scenarion where we log traveltime - outside office hours. This will only give half pay for employees and some customers pay for travel time so we still need to track the time but the hours should not count in the weekly hours for the employee. 

Suggest an answer