Customize the look and feel of JIRA and Confluence

Cheyenne Bryant June 18, 2012

With JIRA On Demand, there is a tab at the top to quickly navigate from JIRA to Confluence and back again. Now that we are using the download version, there does not appear to be a way to even modify the nav links to add in a link to Confluence/JIRA.

How can I modify the top nav of JIRA (where it has "Dashboards", "Projects", etc.) to add a link to our Confluence instance?

Our applications are already linked, so when a JIRA ticket is mentioned in Confluence, the link does appear in the ticket itself. The request I have is more overreaching in that you can nav back and forth no matter what screen you are on because it's part of the overall theme or look/feel.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2012

You need a plugin for this. Adding a link is pretty simple because you can do it via a web-item plugin module and no java files needed for this.

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Web+Item+Plugin+Module

Cheyenne Bryant June 18, 2012

I read through the documentation, and though it will do what I need -- I'm not a developer :( Is there any other way than developing a new JIRA plugin and applying it to the server? I'm afraid I might break something.

1 vote
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 7, 2013

In the latest releases of the Atlassian Suite, this is done automatically if you have an application link, or you can manually add links, seeCreating Links in the Application Navigator.

Paulie Rainbow January 7, 2014

This is important as JIRA is frequently managed by (non-developer) Test Managers.

Suggest an answer