Customize JIRA as helpdesk Knowledge Base

petinko July 25, 2013

I'm pretty new to JIRA and I would like to create a new "knowledge base" workflow and screens.

It should be tagged/categorized hierarchically.

I need only few fields on a screen:

• Question
  • Answer
  • Attachments
  • Comments
  • Category
  • Tags
  • Created by, Create date etc.

The workflow/issue types are simple:

• Resolved question
  • In-progress question

Thank you all.

3 answers

1 vote
Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2013
  • All JIRA issues must use the summary field. That would be where you put your question.
  • Components field would map to category.
  • Labels, comments, attachments, created by and created date fields are there out of the box.
  • Answer could be a custom field you add.
  • You can make your own workflow with the simple process you described. Start here for instructions on custom fields and workflows: https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=370704876

One other thing to consider: How will this KB setup in JIRA integrate with the rest of your processes? For example, we use JIRA for incident management and KB content, so we integrated the two. We tag resolved incident tickets that meet our KB quality requirements as "Solution Candidates". Once an approver verifies it, the candidate ticket is tagged as a Verified Solution that then shows up in solution lists for anyone searching for answers. So, the KB workflow is integrated with the Incident Management workflow and the KB content reuses the content generated during incident management to minimize duplication and time spent creating KB content. Considering the overall fit will affect how you decide to set up your system and how efficient the system is.

petinko July 25, 2013

Thank you I'll try and I'll come back.

Esma SLIM September 29, 2020

Hi @Randall Robertson , How can I configure the "Solution candidates" option? 

Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2020

Here are some options:

1. Add a custom field (single select type) with values like Solution Candidate and Validated Solution. Have your staff select Solution Candidate if they think the ticket would be useful as a KB entry. When someone validates that it is a good KB entry, they change that field to Validated Solution.
  2. Same idea as #1, but use the Labels field and add the label "Solution_Candidate". Change the label to "Validated_Solution" when you decide it is a good KB entry. I prefer #1 because you can't mistype in a select field. You can mistype labels. 
  3. Make Solution Candidate and Validated Solution statuses in your workflow. They could come after Closed in the workflow, for example.

You can then search for solutions based on the option you set up.

0 votes
petinko July 25, 2013

The documentation was a little bit confusing and fine-grained for me. I'm looking for a tutorial or a step-by-step publication.

JIRA documentation is great but it's too "much" I feel I'm lost :(

0 votes
Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 25, 2013
What exactly is your question? Are you wanting some hints on how to do this or wondering where to find the documentation for screens, workflows, etc?

Suggest an answer