Customizations not reflecting in WAR installation after migrating from standalone

Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2013

Hi All ,

I am migrating a Jira standalone instance to a Jira WAR , I follwed this document and Jira now runs on a separate Tomcat but all the file/ jira source, vm , js , etc . customizations I have done are not reflecting in JIRA . Under the webapps/jira I see the files are modified but they dont behave as expected .

Has anybody encountered this issue before ? Any comment or suggestion appreciated .

Thank you :)

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2013

Difficult to say unless you can explain exactly how you built the WAR.

Also, could you confirm that your old Jira and new Jira are totally separate installs on the application server? So there's no chance of the two mixing? (Reusing the same database is fine, it's just to ensure the new system is not going to pick up any bits of the old one)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2013

Well, that's never going to work...

> Copied the old /atlassian-jira directory to tomcats /edit-webapp

eYou need to work through each and every change you've made to the base installation and place them under /edit-webapp in the appropriate directory. You can NOT just copy the whole of the atlassian-jira directory - you'll end up with inconsistent files and an unmaintainable mess next time you upgrade. You only want to include the files you've edited away from the baseline.

One other quick question:
>database and home directory same as old Jira

That is fine, but are you definitely working with separate application installations (e.g. your old Jira install is in /opt/jirastandalone and the new one in /opt/jirawar)?

Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2013

-Downloaded and extracted the WAR zip,

-Copied the old /atlassian-jira directory to tomcats /edit-webapp

-ran build.sh

-added jira home path as a parameter in jira.xml and saved in /conf/Catalina/localhost

Old and new JIRA are on the same machine , database and home directory is same as old JIRA

Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2013

Thanks , I have made many customization and also did changes to few java class files .. do I have to run build.sh for each file ? or I can do that one time for all files ?

Yes I am working on two separate application installations

Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2013

Hi Nic , I built the war file by adding only the modified files in /edit-webapp under the required directories , still the customizations are not reflecting .

I also deleted the CATALINA_HOME/work and restarted Jira .

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2013

Ok, that sounds healthier, so can you confirm the exact structure you've got under edit-webapp? To check it, could you take your built WAR file and expand it into a temporary directory and compare that tree with the file tree you get with an off-the-shelf war - basically we're looking to see that your modified files are over-riding the ones you get by default.

Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2013

Yes the files are modified , I checked this in CATALINA_HOME/webapps/jira

I was not able to extract the war but this war is extracted atomatically in /webapps

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2013

Mmm, just because it's extracted automatically doesn't mean it's correct. You really do need to check that the war you are deploying is correct.

What do you mean "not able to extract the war"?

Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2013

I tried the commands

jar xvf atlassian-jira-5.1.8.war

unzip -c atlassian-jira-5.1.8.war

but these command dont expand the war file

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2013

"unzip atlassian-jira-5.1.8.war" works fine for me (Linux box). If unzip can't read your war, then there's something wrong with it.

Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2013

removing the -c worked .. I unziped it war and found that the there is an /atlassian-jira directory ... I was doing a mistake in directory structure .

correct structure is edit-webapps/WEB-INF/classes

I was using edit-webapps/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF .

I will try and let you know whether it works .. Thanks :)

Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2013

This was the issue .. now everything works fine.. Thanks again :)

Suggest an answer