Customfield inserts in database.

Daniel Micallef February 16, 2016

When an issue is created and a customfield is not set in JIRA, no inserts are made into the mysql database. Therefore the following condition in the workflow will not be satisfied, and the JIRA issue not able to be closed.

if customfield is null

Is this the way JIRA should function? And if so, is there a way in which I am able to make an insert with a value of NULL for the empty (unset) customfield?

2 answers

0 votes
Sten Sundelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2016

FYI - JIRA Workflow Toolbox (paid for add-on) has a validator to check if a custom field has been initialized (not null).

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2016

Yes, it deliberately puts nothing in the database when a custom field is left empty.

It should be irrelevant to you though, as the UI, REST and internal code all recognise and handle that as "no value set".

The way you have phrased this suggests you might be trying to insert data with SQL.  NEVER do that with a JIRA database.

Daniel Micallef February 16, 2016

Hi Nic, thanks for your answer. No I am not trying to insert any data via SQL. On the other hand, in the JIRA workflow, I have set a condition, which enables an issue to be closed if and only if the value is not set (i.e. is NULL). Naturally if nothing is inserted into the database the customfield value  does not exist (and therefore is not NULL), hence users are unable to close an issue. Could you suggest a workaround for this problem?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2016

There's no problem there, and you're over-thinking something.  The API knows that a custom field is empty and you use that in your condition.

Could you show us what you've got for your condition?

Suggest an answer