Customer notification for Request resolved/Comment added JSD

Bojana Vasic November 21, 2017

Hi,

When I add a comment on a resolve issue screen (comment field is there as a system default field) customers are getting following notification;

"Bojana commented:

"test if notification will include two emails"

Bojana changed the status to Resolved.

Bojana solved this with done.

Bojana commented:

"test if notification will include two emails""

As you can see notification regarding the comment is sent twice, because I have added a comment on a resolve transition screen. Can this be managed somehow, to send the notification with a comment just once?

Thanks!

5 answers

0 votes
Christopher Heritage
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2018

I am also having the same issue in just one of my Service Desks. 

I have 4 SDs setup in the same JIRA instance.

In the global SD settings, I have selected No, only send JIRA Service Desk notifications to customers (recommended) for the setting Should customers receive JIRA notifications?

Yet, one of my SDs insists on sending out both the default JIRA project e-mails and the SD customer e-mails to my customers and I cannot figure out why.

My customers sometimes get a slew of e-mails when multiple things happen in quick succession on their tickets and it's annoying.

0 votes
Syed Tahmim Islam January 5, 2018

I'm also facing the same problem. It's very annoying for my clients.

0 votes
Abby Welbourn December 1, 2017

I am having the same issue as Bojana.

- I have a Comments Field validator on multiple transitions in a workflow that requires the User to enter a comment before transitioning to the next status. 

- I also have the notifications set so that when a public comment is added, the Customer is notified. 

In turn, during these transitions, the Customer receives one email, but the Comment is duplicated in the notification.

Petri Näppi December 3, 2017

I've exactly the same problem. Very annoying for the customer who's receiving the duplicated notification message.

Jackson Hart January 3, 2018

Also having this problem with what i'm pretty sure was initially untouched default notifications settings.

Turning off resolving/status change notifications still creates 2 comments when commenting on a status-change dialogue (even though no status-change notification present).

Changing settings in the notification scheme wasn't appearing to change anything - I have since removed the scheme from the project (so it has no notification scheme at all) and it hasn't changed anything?

How do notification schemes vs project notifications settings work?

0 votes

Hi @Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor],

Thanks for answering,

- Notification scheme  - ok
- Only add-on installed is "JIRA Toolkit Plugin: A Collection of useful Custom Fields"
- do not have duplicated mail server
- fake user - not a problem

The problem is that comment is a field on the resolve issue screen, and when issue is resolved with a comment added on that screen it triggers to customer notifications, one for Resolved and other one for Comment. I would like to have comment as part of the notification for Resolved but just once, not twice, as I have described earlier.

Any ideas on how to achieve this? 
Thanks!

Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2017

It should not duplicate the mail (at least not in my server instance).

Are you using mail handler and service desk mail handler? The mail handler in System should not be configured in Jira Service Desk projects, only the mail request type in that project settings

I am on Jira Service Desk Cloud. All other customer notifications work fine... 

This is enabled as well via admin pages in jira:
Notifications
Should customers receive Jira notifications? 

• No, only send Jira Service Desk notifications to customers (recommended)

I'm using the same email address for sending notifications (outgoing email that is added to the Notification scheme) and for receiving comments/request via email (incoming email).

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2017

Probably I didn't explained myself. Please, check this link and look at the yellow box in "Before you start"

https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/receiving-requests-by-email-747602718.html

Can you check if that's the reason for duplicate mails?

I believe I have understood you correctly... I have no mail handlers that are in use for JSD.

If you are able please test to resolve one ticket, and write a comment on the resolution screen. If you have enabled both Resolve notification and Comment notification in your JSD Customer notification your customer will  probably get an email where comment is written twice. You need a test customer user to test this.

Many thanks!

So,  my customers are not getting duplicate emails... It is just in a case where an agent adds a comment on a resolution transition screen. Just in that case customer gets the email regarding the event resolved with the comment written twice; because both of these customer.notif. are enabled via JSD, but this shouldn't happen...

"Bojana commented:

"test if notification will include two emails"

Bojana changed the status to Resolved.

Bojana solved this with done.

Bojana commented:

"test if notification will include two emails""

Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2017

I have tested it with a new notification scheme and I only receive one message with all the actions. Try deleting and adding again the mail and check if the problem persists.

Please explain what mail are you suggesting me to delete, mail template or? 

All my notifications templates are part of the Custom. notif. in Jira Service Desk, I have not customized those, they are as per default. Both comment added and request resolved are enabled. And I am using just that as a not. scheme... jira's not.scheme is irrelevant here.

custom not jsd.JPG

Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2017

I was talking about deleting the mail configuration and create it again, not the schemes. Snapshot from JSD Server belowcaptura 3.PNG

Unfortunately that has not helped. The main problem is that comment is added on a transition screen...  

Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2017

Not in my server instance... I'll check it this night in a cloud test instance. In the meantime I hope someone else can help you.

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2017

Hi Bojana,

I did a quick search and I think these three reasons are the most probably:

1. Because your mail server is duplicated
  2. A fake user with a mailing list
  3. A third party add-on

Check the notification scheme, the mail server and your add-ons and tell us if the problem persists.

Andrea Cukerman November 28, 2017

Hi Cristian, this has just happened to me as well. 

It worked fine, but for some reason two weeks ago comments typed in the "Comment" box in a transition appear twice in the notification mail. I added a third party add on (never used it) and deactivated as soon as I read your suggestion. 

It does not happen if I use de Comment button in View Issue.

How can I tell if the mail server is duplicated?  

Thank you in advance.

Suggest an answer