Customer Protal

peruzc December 17, 2013

Hello,

I'm new to JIRA and Service Desk. What I'm looking for is a way to give my customers a login and a customer portal address from Service Desk so that my customers can submit issues. I would like to keep my customers out of the main JIRA application if possible and to limit them access to only the "/servicedesk/customer/{project_name}" area. Is this possible? If so, can you please guide me through setting this up? I've been through the documentaion so many times looking for a way to do this, but I have not been very successful.

Thanks

3 answers

0 votes
Thomas August 27, 2014

We had a similiar issue.

Although Service Desk looked very interesting we decided to implement Zendesk.
The licensing was our major problem.

We are a smaller company with 25 people but serving 650 Hotels with more than 2000 Users. This would force us to switch to a non-acceptable number of licenses for JIRA and a huge administrative overhead.

0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2013

This is not currently possible with just JIRA and Service Desk. The feature request to add this functionality can be found at: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-36

0 votes
Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 18, 2013

Hi Peruz,

The problem comes to a Jira usage question of restricting users access to only one project, the Service Desk project. That is because Service Desk uses jira to manage permissions and everything else. (see How JIRA and JIRA Service Desk Work Together for more info)

From answer: Give a JIRA user access to only 1 project?

It can be performed in different ways but the one with the least changes would be to:

1. Create a new group and add the user there
2. Add the group to the Global Permissions (Jira Users) so the user can log in
3. Remove the user from the group 'users' that is enabling him to see all the other projects
4. Add the new group to your project's Role (Users) to grant him access to that project

Cheers!

Mauro

Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 18, 2013

The Feature Request posted by Boris makes more sense probably but maybe restricting access to only 1 project helps too :)

Suggest an answer