Customer Feature Request Voting (JIRA Cloud)

Parker Lovelace January 22, 2018

Hello! 

We have a simply problem: Our customers can currently submit new "feature requests" through our website. However, once the requests are submitted the customers have no way of seeing the feature requests that already exist and/or "voting" on the ones they like. 

In the ideal world, we would have a way for any customer (non-jira users) to see our backlog of customer feature requests that already exist in JIRA, and vote for the ones they like. 

The constraint here is that we do not want these external customers to be able to see all of our JIRA issues that we have for our development process. And these folks do not have JIRA accounts themselves. Is there a way that we can make only certain types of our JIRA issues "public" in order for people to see/vote them?

If this is not possible through JIRA/Confluence, we are open to using an external app as long as it integrates with JIRA. Or maybe, would you recommend changing our customer feature request process entirely so that it is managed 100% in another app?

Any info on this is greatly appreciated!

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2018

Hi there,

if you are willing to open up your jira to the world, you can create a project for these issues and set the browse permission to 'anyone'.

That way people can look at the issues without having a jira account. It's possible to use security levels so only certain issue types would be public, but I'd close off my sensitive Jira projects completely.

If I wanted to create some automation, I'd use scriptrunner for jira to clone certain issues (comments, custom fields) from my 'secure/hidden/private' jira project.

I would not let people to vote on things without registration because that could lead to spam and alike.

I hope that makes sense, I'm happy to clarify anything if you have some questions.

Wow, thanks for such a quick, awesome reply! 

I am about 80% sure that your first recommendation is going to be our solution. The JIRA issues that are generated from the "feature request" widget on our public website are currently going into a separate project so I think we can get away with just setting that project permission to "anyone" like you said.

Do you know if doing this will open us up to some serious security concern I should be aware of? 

Like Viola Galbiso likes this
Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2018

Not really,

I gather your Jira is already available from anywhere (not only on site) and it doesn't have any IP restrictions.

As long as you don't allow unregistered people to interact with your issues you'll be fine. I've opened up a Jira project once for fun, got loads of spam comments.

I'm not aware of any serious threat that you'd be facing.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

______
P.S.: If you think I've given you a good solution, please consider accepting my answer. Cheers!

Like # people like this

Awesome, thanks again Krisz! We've got some more thinking/testing to do on this functionality but your answers have been very helpful. Accepting it now!

Brian B. November 6, 2019

Hello. You note "As long as you don't allow unregistered people to interact with your issues you'll be fine." I'm struggling to allow users to register as customers for voting, comments, browsing. The same way I interact with Atlassian when I'm looking at a Jira Cloud suggestion.

I've setup project specific permissions and the project is viewable anonymously, but I cannot figure out how to let a customer login so they can vote.

Is there an access level for this without having to purchase a Jira Software license for every customer?

Thanks!

Like Deleted user likes this
Brian B. November 6, 2019

To add my test case.

I have a Cloud Service Desk Portal Customer who has an Atlassian account for support to our portal. Let's call them CustomerA. I then expose a Cloud Jira Software Project with unique permissions that allow Public creation, browsing, comments, voting, watching.

CustomerA sends a ticket to our portal, and one of our agents let's them know there is a feature already existing in a public project that you can vote on. They share a link. 

CustomerA clicks on the link and the portal home page loads. It doesnt allow them to see the link, get a login page, etc.

I've tried adding CustomerA in the specific Cloud Jira Software Project Settings- People section with even Administration rights for testing purposes and it doesn't change the outcome.

Like Deleted user likes this
2 votes
Karthik Kamalakannan November 24, 2023

Hi @Parker Lovelace ,

Using JIRA to gather customer feedback has been an incredible way to keep my team aligned with the new feature requests that are coming in from our customers. But collecting votes from our customers, and keeping my team in-tact is quite challenging. Tools like featureOS has been able to solve the problem since they have a deep integration with JIRA. Maybe you can give it a try. Their support team is incredible.

0 votes
Irina_Bel_Stiltsoft_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 28, 2022

Hi @Parker Lovelace

If you need the functionality of a public forum where all the tickets are visible to everybody, you can check Customer Case for Jira app. It is a portal for your external clients where they can submit their issues or ideas and vote for them. It can be public (visible to everybody), private (restricted for specific email addresses or domains, for example, for your internal needs), or you can set it up as a support service just as JSM(private communication with a support assistant). A forum is mapped to a relevant Jira project, and all the requests created on the forum automatically get to this Jira project.

Suggest an answer