Customer Email Helpdesk

tester September 27, 2017

Is it possible to use Kira as an email helpdesk?

Right now, my support is a mailbox. With this method, things slip through cracks after a while if there is no reply from the user. I'd like to have a better issue tracking system. I want to continue to use email as the form of communication with my users. I don't want them to have to sign up for anything.

I want...
to host the server version, not cloud.
tickets to be created via email.
the destination email to determine what type of ticket it is.
to send an email response to the ticket from jira.
all email replies to be on one ticket.
to see all tickets associated with an email address.
to view all tickets associated with an issue.
to associate code changes in git with an issue and tickets
and probably a lot more.

Service desk appears to require account creation
Email Helpdesk for JIRA  is outdated and fails to work with my evaluation copy of Jira.
Customer Case is cloud based only

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 28, 2017

Jira Service Desk is the Atlassian made product that can best help with using Jira as a helpdesk.    Yes, your end users need to have an account in Jira in order for Jira to be able to track their tickets/comments, and then for your Agents/Admins to be able to respond to their requests in Jira.   In Jira Service Desk (JSD), all the end users are considered to be customers.  And there are no limits to the number of customers you can have in a JSD instance.  Also the licensing for JSD, means there is no cost for adding more customers.  JSD's licensing levels are based on the number of Agents you have that have who can respond to these requests in Jira.

Public sign-up is one way to add these users to your Jira instance, but it's not the only way.  As a Jira admin, you could invite users you join your service desk.  Or if you have all these users accounts with their email addresses in an LDAP instance, you can also connect that LDAP directory to Jira as a means to add these users to JSD. 

Jira Service Desk is probably the most popular app for Jira to handle Help Desk scenarios.  However if you are looking for other options aside from JSD to work with Jira, there are a few other plugins that might be helpful:

Help Desk for Jira is another server based plugin for Jira that might be helpful.    Please note that this is a different plugin from Email Help Desk for Jira.  I understand it sounds like you might be having difficulty getting the "Email Help Desk for Jira" to work with your instance.  In that case, I would recommend reaching out to this plugin vendor's support.  I don't personally have any experience supporting these other two plugins with Jira, so I am not sure if these can meet your needs.   However I believe that JSD can meet most, if not all, of the items on your want list.

Suggest an answer