CustomField using Json importer

Jay Chang
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2013

I pre-set up two customFields in Jira, ex. "Story Points" and "Business Value" and in the json file, I defined value for the two fields as:
"Story Points" : "15",
"Business Value" : "34",

Importing such custom field using JSON Importer seems to fail with error such as ...Unrecognized field "Story Points" (Class com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.external.beans.ExternalIssue),...

Does this mean I have to define custom fields as below in order to import them?

"customFieldValues": [
        {
            "fieldName": "Story Points",
            "fieldType": "com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.customfieldtypes:float",
            "value": "15"
        },
        {
            "fieldName": "Business Value",
            "fieldType": "com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.customfieldtypes:float",
            "value": "34"
        }
    ]

Thanks,

JC

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jay Chang
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2013

I could not make this format "customfield_10102": 10, to work. Anyway, the {fileName, fieldType, value} form is working fine for me now.

EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 10, 2013

Yeah, quite frustrating that the REST Json endpoint and the JSON importer seem to have completley distinct parsers when it comes to custom feilds. I still can't get cascading selects to import since "child" is not valid.

1 vote
Yilin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 30, 2013

Actually you need to have the id rather than the name, for example, if the customfield id for the story point is 10102 with a value 10, you can add the following line in the json data output:

"customfield_10102": 10,

Jay Chang
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 2, 2013

Thanks for your suggestion. However, this method doesn't seem to work for me. I still get error when the Json importer encounters the first customfield:

java.lang.RuntimeException: org.codehaus.jackson.map.exc.UnrecognizedPropertyException: Unrecognized field "customfield_10237" (Class com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.external.beans.ExternalIssue), not marked as ignorable
 at [Source: java.io.StringReader@1930818; line: 24, column: 28] (through reference chain: com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.external.beans.ExternalProject["issues"]->com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.external.beans.ExternalIssue["customfield_10237"])
0 votes
Yilin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 3, 2013

May I ask whether you've add the new customfield on the destination JIRA instance?

Jay Chang
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 4, 2013

Thanks for your quick response. Yes, I lookd up the customfields table to get field IDs for the fields that I defined.

Suggest an answer