Custom workflow

sylvia ganovska June 11, 2012

I've created a custom workflow which should replace the default jira workflow. My question is how to test my custom workflow? Currently I have only one project. Is there any procedure I need to follow? What are the best practices for implementing a custom workflow on Jira OnDemand?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
kris June 11, 2012

We have a lot of custom workflows because of the way we use Jira here. I do as Nic suggests and test them against a different project (I have a test one specifically for this). I also found creating a new project was good practice when I was new to Jira.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2012

Create a new workflow scheme, put your workflow in it, and then go to the project and change the workflow scheme to the new one.

But test it first! Create a new project, and apply the new workflow scheme. If you set up a new permission scheme that says "only sylvia_g has browse permission" for that project, no-one will see it.

Thanks Nic!

I have created a test project and associated it with my custom jira workflow. But how to test that my new jira workflow works fine? How to test that the new added "Status", for example, works as expected.

kris June 11, 2012

You can just create a new ticket or two and walk it through all the steps. Make sure you don't have notifications setup on that project though. Once you've verified that it works the way you want you can associate your actual live project with it. I just tested one this afternoon and realized I'd forgotten to add a reopen step!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2012

As Klanz says, just walk through the test project. It'll work exactly the same as the other project. Just bear in mind that things like fields and screens are mostly unrelated to workflow unless there's explicit mentions - concentrate on status, permissions, notifications and the effect of post-functions if you've used them.

In fact my custom workflow is very simple. I added a new Status called "Retest" . So when the developer thinks he fixed the issue, then the issue is assigned to the "Reporter" and he tests it. If the bug is fixed then the issue is resolved, if not-the issue goes back to the developer(("In progress" status)

In my test project I created an issue, but I can not see my transiotons "Test" and "Not fixed" which are between "In Progress" and "Retest" statuses. How I can display them in the same way like "Edit, Assign, Comment, Stop Progress, Start Progress, Close Issue.... and so on in the Issue screen?

All in all I have this:

In Progress -----test-----> Retest

In Progress <-----Not Fixed-----Retest

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2012

Do you have any "conditions" on the in-progress -> retest transition? They could be hiding it.

Also, have you checked the workflow scheme is associated correctly? I have a nasty habit of clicking through to the config screen and forgetting to actually commit changes, leaving myself wondering why it's still using an old scheme!

kris June 11, 2012

I've also had this happen when my permission scheme wasn't setup right (hence my confusion/question yesterday that Nic kindly answered).

sylvia ganovska June 14, 2012

Thank you guys,

I have changed a few settings and my custom WF works as expected:-)

I need your help again- Let's imagine that we have an issue which is fixed in the next release. How can I manage this scenario? Should I create a new Status called "Fixed in next realease" or createing a project version "Backlog" or something like that would be a better solution. Your help is greatly appreciated!

kris June 14, 2012

In my previous position when I did that kind of support (rather than the Jira support I do now) we would close those tickets and list the fix version. In my current position that decision would be made by the business group using the queue/project (not sure if that's you or not).

Suggest an answer