Custom reports in Jira; Is MS SSRS a decision?

Irena Dikova January 11, 2018

I'm looking for a quick and cheap way to make custom reports in Jira. Is a good idea to Integrate Microsoft Reporting Services with Jira? 

2 answers

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2018

If you are using Microsoft tools (your question suggests so), so you could implement custom Jira reports in MS Excel with the help of Better Excel Plugin

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2018

Possibly.  I'm not that familiar with it, so I don't know the capabilities.

If it requires database access, then I would run away screaming.  You will have to build and maintain a detailed database dictionary, and that's a bloody nightmare with Jira.

If it can make queries of Jira over REST, then, while you'll still need to  put some thought into mapping some of the bigger things, the REST interface is a lot more representative of what you get from the UI and what humans would expect to see.

(To help you understand the difference here:  If you ask the REST API "show me an issue", you get the issue with all the detail you ask for in one go.  If you ask the database, you are looking at a query with 10 joins just for the system fields, and many many more if you have custom fields, versions, components and and and.  Don't use SQL, you will have nightmares)

The best bet is, of course, add-ons.  I'd take a good look at EazyBI and Arsenale's Dataplane.  They understand the database so you don't have to.

Suggest an answer