Custom project images and avatars are missing after the JIRA upgrade

sn April 10, 2017

hi all,

we recently upgraded our test instance of JIRA from 6.4 to 7.3. now, i see the custom images for projects and custom user avatars are missing. there is some documentation on the web but nothing is clear.

someone please suggest if this is known issue and how this should be resolved.

TIA

2 answers

1 vote
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2017

Sounds like you only migrated your attachments and not the entire JIRA home directory. Inside the home directory, there is a "data" directory, and inside there is an "avatars" directory. Copy over the avatars directory and everything should return to normal.  Make sure the directory and all contents are owned by the user that JIRA runs as. You won't need to restart JIRA to make this change.

Jonathan April 20, 2017

I think this is currently an issue. I'm having the same issues after a migration. The home directory contents are definitely there, and the avatar files are present in the correct directory, new uploads appear in the same directory as old migrated files.

0 votes
Balvant Biradar July 17, 2017

Hi Dave,

Thanks for answer. i am doing Migration + Upgradation(7.0 to 7.4)

I copied complete Data folder from old jira to new jira but avatars are not working properly but attachements are working fine.

I provided rwx access to jira account on all folders in jira home

I checked jira is owner and has rwx for all sub-directories in data directory.

Please also confirm how attachements and avatars are managed in Jira? i know actuall files are stored in data folder but is database has any linking tables?

if you have any link with details like how avatars and watchers are managed in jira and how to handle while migration and upgradation

Thanks in advance.

Balvant

Suggest an answer