Custom logo for Retina Display

Neil Littlejohns February 19, 2016

Hi,

When changing the logo for our JIRA instance, anything over 30px tall is resized to be 30px tall. This means that you can't upload a logo that looks good on a HiDPI display. This is weirdly hypocritical of JIRA because the default logo is 60px tall and looks great on a retina display.

We tried manually changing the logo on our server to use a 60px tall one, but this didn't work. Does anyone know how to force JIRA to accept a retina-friendly custom logo?

5 answers

1 vote
Farzad Shafiee January 26, 2017

Hi Neil,

I'm afraid you just have to do it the hard way, and by that I mean accessing the file system of the machine that is hosting the JIRA instance, and manually replacing the file.

We are hosting our instance on a Linux environment (Ubuntu 14.04 to be specific) and the custom logo was stored  at the following path:

/var/atlassian/application-data/jira/logos/jira-logo-scaled.png

Use SCP, FTP or whatever means you have to access the server, upload the upscaled logo (at any size you like, just keep the proportions), place it at the path mentioned above (make sure you overwrite the file generated by JIRA if there's any) and you're done.

Just remember that if you're using any sort of CDN or a static assets caching mechanism, you're going to have to bust the cache for the logo to see the change. Use browser inspector to determine the URL that the logo is being fetched from.

I'm not sure about Windows, but it should generally be the same case. Just find out where JIRA stores the uploaded logo and replace it.

Cheers,

0 votes
Alexander Maslov December 8, 2016

Custom logo looks really ugly on retina screens ;-(

0 votes
Jonathan Briehl September 1, 2016

Major bummer. Thanks for the reply!

0 votes
Neil Littlejohns August 31, 2016

nope, gave up! it still looks terrible :-/

0 votes
Jonathan Briehl August 31, 2016