Custom issue type not showing up in drop-down list

PRA May 21, 2014

I have assigned "My Field Configuration Scheme" to "My Project".

Inside "My Field Configuration Scheme" I have assigned "My Field Configuration" to "MyOwnIssueType".

Now, when I select an issue in my project and try to change the issue type to MyOwnIssueType, MyOwnIssueType is not present in the issue type drop-down selection.

If I reassign MyOwnIssueType to the "Default Field Configuration" it reappears in the drop-down list.

How do I make MyOwnIssueType appear in the drop-down list when it is assigned to "My Field Configuration"?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2014

You can't use a simple edit to change issue type unless the two issue types have (almost) identical configurations. You have to use the "move" function, so that Jira can go through all the validation steps it needs to prevent the data from breaking.

If you want a simple edit of issue types, then you need to give MyOwnIssueType the same field configuration scheme as the other issue types in the project

PRA May 21, 2014

I wasn't aware of the difference between (underneath) the two ways of changing the issue type. "Move" works, and will do it for me, thank you.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2014

Yes, it's not very obvious. I can understand why it wants to check the old config vs the new, but I think it could be done better (e.g. leave all the options in the drop-down, warn the user and disable all the edit fields if they select an incompatible one and then start the "move" process for them if they click ok)

Suggest an answer