Custom forms for submitting different types of issues

Majken Connor January 9, 2014

We have certain types of issues that we would like filled out the same way. We also have some issues that we'd like reported with minimal information, filling out the regular create issue form is too complex, because the component etc would need to be selected.

In the first case a set form would help make sure consistency between the issues. In the second case, a set form would help reduce the amount of input needed to get the information into JIRA. In both cases it would make sure the issue is filed in the right project with the right component and the right issue type etc.

It seems I basically want Issue Collector functionality, but I would be interested in having these forms available from inside JIRA (on the relevant project summary), or having a page with links to the different types of forms (maybe issue collector already lets me do this?). The links should be bookmarkable for people who fill out the forms regularly.

Anyone know how to go about doing this?

2 answers

0 votes
Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2017

While, we develop the plugin for managing the forms in Confluence and that could be used to created JIRA issues, I find the most appropriate plugin for your use case would be the  Jirassimo Intake Forms

Visual designer of Jirassimo Intake Forms allows you to create your forms very quickly, adding the behaviour and rules,

The form then can be integrated into any website or in Confluence (with free plugin)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2014

The "issue type screen scheme" determines what set of screens each issue type uses. You can easily set it up to say "when creating a bug in project 1, use list of fields 1, but when creating a bug in project 2, use list 2, and when creating a feature in either project, use list 3"

It looks a bit complex when you first configure it, but complexity is the price of flexibility.

I'd look into issue type screen schemes more before trying anything more.

Majken Connor January 9, 2014

Yes, but that still requires the person to know where the bug needs to be filed. They still have to choose the correct project, then the correct issue type, correct component etc. This will be an option in some cases, but not others.

Are there links for creating issues of specific types? If I went with using custom issue types for each category of problem, would I be able to give people a link to use that takes them to the right place, or would they still need to click the "Create issue" button and make sure the right project and issue type are selected?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2014

You've got the problem of "how do I know what to put in" no matter what you do.

The issue collectors simplify it a bit because they're associated with specific projects, but there's no getting around that, it's all about the user knowing the context or having it spoon fed to them

The simple approach is to use screen schemes to determine what you ask them. You can't do better than that without knowing the context in which they're raising the issue. Of course, if you have that context, then you can do the spoon-feeding - have a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+via+direct+HTML+links

Majken Connor January 10, 2014

Yes, I do have the context in which they're raising the issue. That's the point. So when someone needs to report x is broken, they will know to click the bookmark/link to fill out the "Report broken x" form.

Thanks, that link is indeed useful.

Suggest an answer