It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Custom fields not mapped when moving to new generation project

Hi, i have created a new project based on the new generation version.

On the other hand i have a "legacy" project, with and issue A that have a custom field name 'actual result'.

On the new project i configure an issue template with a field 'actual result'.

I try to move my ticket A to the new generation project, the field 'actual result' is not mapped with what i did on the configuration.

Same behavior when i try a bulk move.

Someone already have experienced it and have an explanation/solution?

Thank you in advance.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hello Francois,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

Next-gen and Classic projects are very different when it comes to design, features, and configuration. Classic projects have shared configuration, it means that when we create a custom field, for example, for a Service Desk project, you can also add the same field on a Jira Software project. Next-gen is different in this aspect because they are independent, you can't use custom fields, notification schemes or the same workflows already in use on a Classic project.

With that said, what you mentioned in your question is actually expected. When we move from a Classic to a Next-gen, custom fields won't be moved, it will be necessary to create this field again in the Next-gen project.

For more details about what is moved and what is not moved between this type of project, please check the documentation below: 

Things to keep in mind if you migrate from classic to next-gen

Next-gen projects and classic projects are technically quite different. Here's a few things to consider when you migrate from a classic software project to a next-gen software project:

Active sprints: Sprints in progress in your classic project won't move to your next-gen project. Issues that were in the active sprint in your classic project will be in the backlog of your next-gen project.

Epic links: Links between epics and other issues (Story, Bugs, Tasks, etc...) in your classic project won't exist in your next-gen project. The issues themselves will still exist, but the links between them won't.

Custom fields: These must be recreated in your new next-gen project.

Story points estimation: This data will be lost, however you'll be able to start using story points estimation by enabling the Estimation feature in your next-gen project.

Reports: Data for your project's Velocity report won't be saved. The Velocity report will show that no points were completed in past sprints.

Report history: All reporting history is lost in this migration process. The Burnup report and Velocity report won't be migrated.

Project and issue keys: Project keys are unique and can never be reused in Jira. If you migrate your issues to another project, they will get new keys and the new project must have a different key of its own. If you migrate your issues using the process above, Jira will automatically redirect any links to your old issue keys.

If you have any other question regarding this matter, please let us know.

Regards,
Angélica

Hello,

thanks a lot for your answer. It a shame that we cannot move custom fields even if we create them on the new project issue type configuration.

Unfortunately i won't be able to use this new version for now on, but i'll give it a shot later!

Thanks again.

Like Angélica Luz likes this

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Jira

Jira Cloud for Google Sheets: Automatically Refresh Your Data!

Remember that time you realized it was possible to refresh your Jira data in Google sheets with just one click? What if we told you that you can now get the latest data with no clicks at all?! Zero! ...

7,370 views 33 29
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you