Custom fields in Jira

Anuradha Gopalan March 23, 2014

Hi,

I have a stand alone jira instance running in my machine. It is connected to MYSQL DB. I have a table called LeaveDetails in DB which contain columns like leaveStartDate, leaveEndDate.

In my createIssue screen I have customfields Leave Start Date and Leave End Date, I want the values entered in the createIssueScreen Leave Start Date and Leave End Date to be stored in the LeaveDetails table in MYSQL DB instead of customfieldvalue table. Could you please let me know how to achieve this. Thanks

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2014

Code, and quite a lot of it - there's nothing I know of that will do this for you, you'll need to write a new type of field that can read and write your separate database independently of the main Jira one.

Hi Nic, thanks for your quick reply. I have the LeaveDetails table also in JIRA database only. Instead of customfields storing the values in the 'customfieldvalue' table, I need the values to be stored in the LeaveDetails table. Could you please link me to any similar question or could any one provide me a sample code. Thanks.

Thank you...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2014

As I said, I've not seen anything that will do this.

There are plugins which read data from other databases, but I'm not aware of any that directly write. The code shouldn't be hard though, just connect up another database source in your plugin and issue the required SQL.

I imagine it'll get horribly complex when you try to write searchers though - you'll need to duplicate the data into the Jira index, and then you'll not be able to write to the data externally because Jira can't index external changes. In fact, you'll probably not want to index or search the data at all.

Suggest an answer