Custom field with default value appears on all request detail view

Pierre Keutel July 6, 2017

Hello,

I have an issue with custom fields where the default value is set.

In fact I have 2 fields where a default value is set for a special request type. When a customer opens another request type which does not include those fields these are nevertheless shown in the request detail screen (in the backend) for all other request.

Since I did not assign the fields to other request I do not expect that those fields will show up on other request types (as it is quite disturbing) since these fields do not have anything to do where they pop up.

Is there a config which I missed ?

Thanks in advance.

KR

4 answers

0 votes
support for vo May 9, 2022

Hello,

Was this resolved ?
I am having the same problem today ...

0 votes
Maitreyee July 1, 2020

Was this resolved, I am having the same problem

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2017

You say the request type doens't have the field attached. If you're thinking it doesn't appear on the create or edit screens that doesn't matter. It sounds like when you created the field you made it either global, for the issue type (inadvertantly perhaps), or for the project. It doesn't matter if appears on any of the screens, if it is defined for the issue type, project, or global it will appear in the details page when there is a value, default or set, for it.  Go to the custom field and verify how it is defined. 

Kedar Pepakayala July 6, 2017

Check that field must be in both Field configuration and screen and it assingned for that request type or not

JiraSD support September 26, 2018

I see this happens when a default value is configured, on a custom field

0 votes

what is your main problem you want to remove the custom filed from that project

or want remove Automatic appear of field from the view screen

I want to have the custom field only appearing where it belongs to. I try to give a more detailed example of my problem.

example

custom field: primary mail -> default value "@example.com"

custom field is added to request type: "user creation"

when a request of type "intranet problems" (does not include "primary mail" field) comes in and I check the detailed view I can see description etc. but also "primary field" : "@example.com"

This should not be shown in the request as this type does not have the field attached. Either there is a bug or I missed some configuration.

can you share  with snapshot of jira with your problem you are facing

OK - here one example:

1st pic shows the fields for this kind of request type

fields assigned for RebookingApp request.png2nd pic shows request detail view with "not assigned" field (Primary Mail)rebookingApp request not assigned field.png

Check that field must be in both Field configuration and screen and it assingned for that request type or not

Paul John Vallecera
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 31, 2024

Hello @Pierre Keutel was searching for answer on this one as well so annoying to see the custom fields present in all request types. I've already figured out just posting to help others as well. What I did is go to the Project settings > Request Types > after that you need to go and click one by one the request types available  > Once inside the request type go to Issue View tab of that request type then locate and remove the custom field  manually. Usually it can be found on the Description fields. After that do the steps on the remaining request types.Hope this one helps

Suggest an answer