Custom field to be required when assigning a ticket

Mahesh Kallepalli October 23, 2019

Hello ,

We have one custom field with name service request , My client need to be that field mandatory when assigning ticket . please find attached screen shot where they required that field .assignee.PNG

2 answers

0 votes
Gustav L_Estrade
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2019

Hello @Mahesh Kallepalli

As far as i am concerned there are two things you need to do to get this working:

1. Add the custom field to the screen. This is done under Administration > Issues > Screens. First you need to identify which Screen it is you want to add the field to. When identified, you press "Configure" and there add the custom field to it. 

2. Make the custom field mandatory in the field configuration. In the field configuration scheme, you need to find the field configuration that is associated with the issue type you are using. The field configuration scheme can be found under Administration > Issues > Field configuration scheme. When the right field configuration has been found, locate your custom field in it. Then click "Required". 

After these two steps the custom field should be shown on the screen and should also be required.

Hope this helps!

Good luck with your Jira endeavors! 

Mahesh Kallepalli October 23, 2019

@Gustav L_Estrade 

I have already implemented this but my client is saying they just need that to be mandatory and it should pop up when they are assigning ticket.

Gustav L_Estrade
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2019

There is no option to make a screen pop up when assigning an issue to a user. You have two options:

1. Add it to a regular screen. (As my explanation above).

2. Add it to a workflow screen. With this solution you have to create a workflow transition that does the job and on that transition use a screen that contains the value. 

These are the possibilities in the out-of-the-box Jira installation. There could be addons that can help you achieve the exact behavior you are looking for. 

Hope this helps!

0 votes
Jacques October 23, 2019

Hello Mahesh,

This screen shows up when you transition from one status to another.

What you need to do is (you will need to be a Jira administrator):

• Edit this screen and add the field "service request"
  • Edit the transition in the workflow and add a validator that checks whether the field has a value. In order to do this you will need an app (add-on) as Jira does not provide this functionality by default. If you have an on-premise setup then you can try this free app:  Workflow Magic Box.
  • Publish your workflow (make a backup to be sure you can revert if something is not correct).

And you are ready to go!

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
--- Jacques Schoofs.

Suggest an answer