Custom field that shows "Not configured for any context" in the Available Context(s) column on the screen where Custom Fields are listed

Ron Summers September 20, 2012

My question is how did a particular field get in that state of Not configured for any context. From the creation screens it seems impossible to do so. I can go in and edit the configuration and I noticed that none of the issue types are selected or even the All issues selection. So, I think I can fix these but I'm wanting to know how they get this way?

I did see someone ask a question in Answers about whether it was safe to delete fields that showed Not configured for any context but no one had answered them

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 20, 2012

I've just been testing this here and I found out that this happens if you, for example:

1. Create a new Custom Field;
  2. Set the context to the "Test" Issue Type;
  3. Delete the "Test" Issue Type.

JIRA will automatically remove this field from any contexts and remove the context if it doesn't have any other issue types in order to prevent any data corruption. Also, since the field is no longer associated with any issue types, it won't appear in any other screens even though it is configured in the Screens and Field Configurations.

MohammedKamil February 12, 2015

How to overcome it any idea?? Cause i installed Jira Agile add-on , as a result i got the epic field (Epic Name,Epic color, Epic link)..... But none of them seems to appear with reference to other issue types .. Any help ??

Priya Ayyadevara September 20, 2015

Hi Matheus, What happpens if a customfiled has two different contexts a) Global b) Project and if one them if deleted. Thanks Priya

Suggest an answer