Custom field - required on issue type, not on another

Deleted user August 13, 2013

I've created a custom field (WireframeID), and I'd like for it to be optional on a Task issue type that's using the default screen, but required on a custom screen that I've created (Test Scenario). I think I should be able to do this with a field configuration scheme, but I'm just not seeing how to get there. Any suggestions?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Justin Leader
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2013

Denise, I think you need to go another way here.

You want to make it required on a specific transition screen. That's different than making it required for a field, so you wouldn't do this in the field configuration. You'd want to do this inside the workflow. Find the transition in your workflow that triggers that specific screen and make a condition that the field is required. If you need more specific instructions, please let me know.

Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2013

This is the same answer @rambanam gave as second option but may be a little easier to follow.

Michael Voronkov September 24, 2014

Hi Justin, if multiple issues types sharing the same workflow, the required (on a transition screen) will be required for ALL issuetypes using that workflow. The goal is to only make a field for issuetype A, and not issuetype B and C

1 vote
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 13, 2013

if you want to make field required through field configuration then follow the following steps

1. go to the project administration page

2. click on the field configuration which you have assigned to the specifific issue type under field configuration scheme

3. go to the field and click on required option which is located right side of the field

check here for mor einformation(Making a field required or optional)

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Specifying+Field+Behaviour

another way you can make field required by using "field required" validator which is availble on JSU plugin, check this document

https://jsutil.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JSUTIL/JIRA+Suite+Utilities+Workflow+Validators

Deleted user August 13, 2013

I've currently got the field set as required using the field configuration. What I'm running into, specifically, is that even though it's not available on the default screen, it's still pulling as required. The more I've thought about it, I'd like to have it display on the default screen, but there, I'd like it to be optional.

The WireframeID field is associated with the Task (Dev) issue type, as well as our Test Scenario Issue type. It appears on the Test Scenario screen as a required field. It does NOT appear on the Task (Dev) screen, but since it's required, it breaks the Task (Dev) screen. We'd like the WireframeID to be an OPTIONAL field on the Task (Dev) screen, but REQUIRED on the Test Scenario screen.

RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 13, 2013

you are correct!!, i also faced same problem then i make field optional on field configuration and then added field required validator

Michael Voronkov September 24, 2014

exactly

0 votes
Deleted user August 14, 2013

After additional debate with one of my collegues, we've decided (at least for the time being) to have it be required on both fields, so that both developer and tester have it as a frame of reference. I'm going to keep this as an option for if/when we decide to change it going forward. Thanks everyone.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events