Custom field not showing in issue navigator nor in statistics gadget

Dmitri Barski March 18, 2014

Hi all,

I have a strange issue with a (rather simple - single-line text) custom field in my workflow: first strange thing is that I cannot see it in the Issue Navigator (in the list view). I can click on columns, select this column and click on "Done", but this does not make the column appear anywhere...

Next (which is even more important for me) is that I cannot select this field in the "Statistics" gadgets... Interesting enough, other fields appear there alright.

Any ideas?

Best regards

Dmitri

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2014

Fields belong to issue-types and screens, not workflows.

If you don't get a field in the issue navigator, then you have probably written a query that says "show me issues that are in a project and/or an issue type that this field is not valid for". Best bet is to find an issue that should have the field and try a filter for "issue = myissue", which should guarantee that the column will appear!

As for "can't select in statistics gadget" - only "stattable" fields appear in there. That is, fields that can be counted (effectively, this means "options selected from a finitie list"). Random strings of text can't be counted, so it won't appear.

Dmitri Barski March 18, 2014

Hmmm... So how can I talk JIRA into believing me that the list is finite...It can be actuallya user or a project role, so the overall number is known at ever time... I'll try my luck with making it a list box :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2014

You can't, the possible options for text and number fields are simply too large to be treated as finite.

As you want users or roles, you really do need to swap to a select list - technically you could have infinite users or roles, but in the real world, you won't and that is really a near-finite distinct list.

Suggest an answer