Custom field in subtask to be auto field with Parent

Raghavendra Maram June 17, 2014

Hi Experts,

I have a custom field at the time of create task and the same field is used for creating Sub tasks too.. Now i wanted to have this field auto populated into subtask whenever i create from Parent task.. I am using on demand version of JIRA so please suggest..

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Raghavendra Maram July 1, 2014

Solved the issue by creating a Post Function in my Workflow which copies fields from the parent issue on issue creation this will need to be added to the Create transition. When you create an issue the field will be empty on the create screen, but once actually created the fields will have the value from the parent.

0 votes
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2016

There's now a very easy to configure way to keep fields for parents and sub-tasks in sync using Automation for JIRA!

You can easily modify related issues (such as parents, stories, sub-tasks, epics, linked issues and even JQL) using our related issues action and condition:

(this example updates the description, but pretty much any field can be edited)

For more details see https://blog.codebarrel.io/synchronize-parent-and-sub-task-issues-with-automation-for-jira-bdcca6c9d453

0 votes
Vijay Khacharia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2014

Hi Raghavendra,

I accomplish this with a post-function "Copy Value from Other Field". This allows you to copy the value from a field in parent issue to sub-task. Not sure same will be available in On-Demand version.

Vijay

Raghavendra Maram June 20, 2014

Hi Vijay, Unfortunetely it doesnt support for On demand version..any suggestions?

Vijay Khacharia
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 20, 2014

Hi Raghavendra,

The plugin JIRA Suite Utilities is also available for OnDemand version. This plugin provides the post function required. May be you can enable it for your instance.

Vijay

Suggest an answer