Custom field in jira

Neeta Dubey October 10, 2013

I want to add a custom field in jira to calculate the time spent on that ticket. It could be either manual or automatic.

If manual: i should be able the enter "time spent" HH:MM

If automatic: System should calculate the time from when it was open till closed.

Which custom field I can select?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2013

A number field won't be able to hold a time like that, unless you enter hh.mm, and there's no validation, and it'll shorten leading/trailing 0s. As an example, the time 06:20 will be shown as 6.2, and the user will be able to enter things like 987.931

This is crying out for a calculated field instead - if you write one of these, you can determine the calculation and the display format. I'd be tempted to use a scripted field from the script runner plugin though - you'll avoid having to write the whole thing from scratch.

MB
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2013

you were right for the number field, i wrote it in a hurry i guess... simple text field should do it in that case..

0 votes
MB
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2013

For manual way: Add a "Text Field".

For automatic way: Create a new custom field type.

P.S. I first wrote the "Number Field" and later corrected that with the "Text Field". I guess I was writting the answer in a hurry so I didn't properly answer it at first.

Suggest an answer